I think I killed all my coral and inverts HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisajulia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry for the freaking out, but I am going to try and go over the steps of what I did today...as I think I am in big trouble!!!
Okay...first of all...I have a 72gl, did a my usual water change a few days ago. Tested ph today and it was a little low.
1...shut of powerheads and added zooplankton to the tank
2...came down about half hour later and turned them on.
3...came down again about 2 hours later and the sump isn't flowing!!!!
added more fresh water as the level was too low (which was a bit odd)
4... added reef buffer to raise ph
5 ....went down off and on since then (over the last 3 hrs) and all my inverts (snails especially) are laying there 'exposed'...galaxea and star polyps and zoos are all closed..mushrooms are all wrinkled.
OMG WHAT DO I DO???? DID I KILL EVERYONE?!!!!
Please post to let me know what to do...I checked the ph and it's 8.3, calcium is 420, no ammonia or nitrates...salinity 1.023(usual level for us)temp 81(usual)
Thank you to anyone who can help.
This is what I am wondering:
When I added the zooplankton, I normally never shut off the powerheads and sump...so that was different.
Is it possible they are all just eating???
Okay...still freaking..I am going to hit send and pray you all can advise..or at least offer sympathy DOH!
*tears*
Lisa..oh...all the fish are doing fine..no heavy breathing or anything...it's just the coral and inverts.

Where do you get your water from?

How much is your normal water change?

You tested for all three -- ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, right?

How low was your pH before you raised it?

Update...I didn't get an email notification to this....have done several 50% water changes...I use RO/DI water from Walmart...the only things I know for certain died in this odd disaster were the snails..I got out as many as I could, but some of the ones that I know died are the ones that are really small and climb on the glass when the lights are out..I can't recall the name..but all those died from what I can tell and I only see the small shells...I am hoping most of them were eaten!...crabs and fish are okay..not one of them show any signs of stress...at least for now!...galaxea, GSP, shrooms and zoos all opening up a little more each day..but none have fully extended yet..which I am guessing means they are still alive since they can move in and out(?)
I got an amonia spike after all this happened, hence the continued water changes....I have gone through close to 150 gallons of new water since this happened....do I keep changing the water till amonia is 0 and how long do I wait between changes before doing the next one?
As I said, in the last 2 years I have NEVER had so many problems all happen at the same time...I even have my original fish from when I first started the tank as a FWLRO...so...you can imagine how freaked I am over this...
Thanks again!!

It's impossible to say what precipitated this.

At this point you're producing more ammonia than your biofiltration can consume. Either your filter has crashed, or there's excessive decomposition in the tank -- or both.

I would definitely want to be sure that all sources of decay are removed, and I would be very conservative with feedings right now.

I'm concerned that you said the sump wasn't running for two hours -- was any wet-dry media permitted to dry during that period?

Either way it sounds like you've got a cycling tank. On the one hand, ammonia is toxic to your pets, on the other hand it's necessary to re-establish your filter.

I don't have any experience w/ live rock, but I believe your best bet lies somewhere between introducing new bacteria from a reliable source and temporarily relocating whatever you can to a system with a healthy biofilter.

Otherwise, you're faced with the prospect of exposing your reef to ammonia and nitrites as your tank cycles.

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will chime in...

Have you had success with the Walmart water before? I but RO water from a good lfs and it cists me $.29/gal for 5 gal/week. That's ~$1.50.

Considering the huge swing your tank took - what else??

I believe 50% water changes and several of them in a row is too much. When you add too much just made salt water at a time I believe it`s too caustic for the fish and corals. Would not be a problem if it was aged. When you do a 50% water change you also drastically change the chemical make-up of the water. From what I read this causes stress to the tankmates. I personally don`t ever do more than a 20% water change at a time. If you have to do it every other day than thats fine but at least it`s not so drastic a change. This is my practice. No problems yet,but I am knocking the heck out of my wooden computer table. Have a good day.

Thought I would post another update....I am happy to report that things seem to be back to normal...the corals are almost all open as before and none of them died...I am so thankful...I said a LOT of prayers...especially to St Francis being that he's the Patron Saint of animals :wink:
As for the reason I changed the water so often and so much (it was aged and aerated btw) was because I had no idea what other problem existed besides what I already tested for...it just seemed something in the water was a problem...and I didn't want to lose any tank dwellers.
Thank you all again for your support....the good news is that even after what seemed a horrid disaster, if you keep up with the water changes, things can recover nicely...I pray never to have this kind of disaster again...

Back
Top Bottom