I think my tank has cycled but 0 nitrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kumi-Moor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I am on day 21 of a fish-less cycle of a 29 gallon tank. Yesterday for the first time, my ammonia readings were O, Nitrite 0 but Nitrate is also 0 yesterday and today too.

Could this be because I just did a 60% WC 2 days ago? I tested twice and very clearly 0. I am using an API master test kit. My PH is 7.6.

I have added another 4ppm of ammonia tonight to see if the results change tomorrow.

If I am indeed cycled will one 3" Black Moor be enough to sustain the biofilter? He is in a small aquarium and waiting for his new home. I may add one more but as I understand that it for a 29 gallon.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

KUMI-MOOR.

Welcome! It's possible to have zero nitrates but not very likely unless your tank is heavily planted. If you started your cycle from scratch (no cycled media), at three weeks, I would expect to see nitrite spiking off the chart around now but every cycle is a bit different.

Is your ammonia dropping from four to zero steadily? Does your nitrite test stay the same color blue for the entire test and not change from purple to blue (this is important)?

Also make sure you really shake and bang the nitrate bottles before testing- when the reagents are not properly mixed, it can result in a low or zero reading.

Let us know how your test results look tomorrow! :)

Are you using the API test kit? You have to shake one of the nitrate bottles for 30 seconds VIGOROUSLY or you won't get an accurate result. Read the instructions carefully.

Mistersprinkles is right on the Api nitrate test you have to shake the crap out of the number 2 bottle before you add it to your test tube. I do mine for a almost a minute and then you have to shake the crap out of the tube for at least a full minute I set my kitchen timer to run my nitrate

Thanks everyone for the tips!

To give some background. Its a lightly planted tank, 29 gallons with rocks and big gravel. I took the filter from my current tank and put it in the filter chamber on the new one and when I clean the other tank take the filter swishings and put them in too. I used pure ammonia and dosed too high at first and had to do PWC's to get the readings down to 4ppm. This took me a week to figure out. My readings for Ammonia were 4ppm until day 10 when readings were 3ppm ammonia, 2ppm Nitrite and 40ppm Nitrate. I dosed up to 4ppm of ammonia each day until, nitrites and nitrates sky rocketed. I did PWC on day 13, 14, 15 with no change to nitrite and nitrate readings. Continued adding up to 4ppm ammonia each day. Did one more PWC on day 18. On day 21, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.

I am using an API Master kit however I didn't mix any of the bottles.
This morning I had time to shake and test the Nitrate readings. They were high, I added 4ppm ammonia last night and will check all my readings tonight to see if there are any inaccuracies. Thank you for taking me throught this. I should have known to shake. I will report the new readings.

I am anxious to get my fish re-homed. He is not happy in his current location. Water quality is good but the tank is very small and he is suffering. We were sold far to small a set up and the fish grew from 1" to 3" in 8 months! Gold fish probably not a good starter!

I did the same thing and didn't shake the bottle! I couldn't figure out why I never had anymore than a trace of nitrate. LOL! By the time I realized what I needed to do I had nitrate off the charts!
On another note don't add any ammo until it gets down to 1ppm. If your nitrites get over 5ppm do a water change and if you have 40ppm+ nitrate do a water change. High levels may stall a cycle. Doesn't always do it, but it's a possibility.
LFS are notorious for selling goldfish with tanks that are way to small for them!

Hi all,

My black moor is currently in a 5 gallon. We were sold this tank for 2 goldfish. We lost one at 6 months. The first time we did a fish in cycle because we didn't know any better and added Stability which they told us would solve the problem. I have struggled with keeping the tank stable and decided to do more research which lead me here.

This time I am trying to spare the fish the stress. She is already stressed due to her current home.

As to todays results:

I shook all the test bottles vigourously before testing. I dosed 4 ppm ammonia last night at 8:40pm. Today at 8:35pm:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm tested blue right off and stayed blue
Nitrate 160ppm and probably off the charts.

So as I understand it, I dose 1ppm until the night before I am ready to switch Kumi into her new home. That night I do a 90% WC, lower the heat and re-test and I can move the fish the next day. (barring any weird readings)

Is this right?

I would like to eventually have a second black moor or other similarly visually impaired goldfish. Would 2 goldfish in 29 gallons be OK?

Kumi-Moor.

You would probably be okay with 2 goldfish in there as long as you keep on top of water params. But yep, you are correct. It seems that your tank is ready.

Hi everyone,

I have done my 90% WC. I tested before I did the change:
0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite and 160ppm Nitrate
After I did a 90% WC:
.25-.5 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20-40 Nitrate. !!!!!
Does this mean i have ammonia in my water? Stupid me. I didn't realize this. I have used Prime. Is it true that Prime makes existing ammonia safe? If this is correct can I put me fish in tomorrow?

I will test again to make sure the ammonia has cleared. And i might do a bit more of a WC change to bring the Nitrates down to less than 20,

Need some advice please.

Start by testing your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Let us know how these numbers look! You likely have ammonia in your tap (pretty common these days due to chloramine use) and may have nitrate as well. I would wait until tomorrow then test your tank again and see how the numbers compare today.

Yes, Prime does temporarily neutralize any free (toxic) ammonia but its a temporary effect. Your biofilter should convert any ammonia present in a couple of hours or so, so no worries about this! If your tap has low or zero nitrate, I would do another water change to drop your nitrate levels as low as possible. They will be higher tomorrow due to the conversion of the ammonia present right now. :)

Double *@#!

Here are my tap water readings as of 9:30pm:
Ammonia .5ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 or just a trace, not dark enough to be 5ppm
PH 7.4-7.6

When I just tested my tank a second time there was .25ppm of Nitrite as well as .5ppm of ammonia. What is going on? All I did was change the water.

Does this mean every time I do a water change I will have this problem What do I do?

Kumi-Moor

Numbers after 50% additional WC

Hi All,

Thank you. You've been so helpful so far. Just a few more questions.

Last night I did the 90% WC and found out I had .25-.5ppm ammonia in my tap water and an hour after the tank showed traces of nitrite. My nitrate readings were also high still so this morning I checked my readings.

0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and 20-40ppm nitrate. So it processed over night.

I did a 50% WC and the readings are now at 12pm:

.25 ppm ammonia
0 nitrite
5.0 ppm nitrate

I dosed double with prime when adding the water during this WC. If I understand correctly, Prime will have bound the ammonia into a harmless state that will be consumed in the next 12 hours.

Does that mean that if nitrite readings develop that this is also harmless, or do i do another water change.

Also how does this impact WC's going forward? Just use Prime and I'm OK?
Can I add my fish today?

KUMI-MOOR.

You look good to go and the prime will take care of your trace nitrite for 24 hours which will be enough time for it to be processed. Your bio filter will adjust over time to compensate for your weekly water changes. Now you just have to send us pictures of your happy fish in his new home!!!!

Back
Top Bottom