I think my tank is cycled..maybe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I have had a 37 gallon for about 7 weeks now with seeded media. I havent tested in a while so i tested today and got:
nitrite: 0 or about .1 maybe
nitrate: about 10/20
ammonia: 0
pH: above 7.6..
high range pH: 8.4-8.8

is this okay?!

Is this a fish-in or fishless cycle?

If its a fishless cycle have you been dosing with Ammonia to simulate fish waste?

If so dose up to 3 or 4 ppm and if the tank can convert this into nitrates within 24hours then your tank is cycled.

If its a fish in cycle, only when you have ZERO Nitrites and ZERO Ammonia are you fully cycled.

Jon

U gotta have the same results for a couples of days. So If I were you I would keep testing for at Least one more week and if u keep getting the same results(no nitrites or ammonia) u should be fine.

I agree, we need more info on what you did after you stuck the seeded media in there. Without an ammonia source, it would die off.

Why did you wait so long to take readings?

I agree, we need more info on what you did after you stuck the seeded media in there. Without an ammonia source, it would die off.

Why did you wait so long to take readings?

it's a fish in..and i have just been super busy with sports everyday all day

When you cycle a tank with fish, you should really be taking readings at the very least every other day. You can't wait 7 weeks.

Maybe if your life is that active, you should think of something other than fishkeeping...... I know that sports can be really absorbing.

When you cycle a tank with fish, you should really be taking readings at the very least every other day. You can't wait 7 weeks.

Maybe if your life is that active, you should think of something other than fishkeeping...... I know that sports can be really absorbing.

i didn't say i didn't test it for 7 weeks..i was just asking a question. the last time i checked it was like 5 days and that was a while for me.

I misunderstood then. It sounded to me like you tossed the tank together and then left it for 7 weeks.

Are you using the API master kit?

Seems like you're pretty well cycled, if that's the case.

I misunderstood then. It sounded to me like you tossed the tank together and then left it for 7 weeks.

Are you using the API master kit?

Seems like you're pretty well cycled, if that's the case.

nahh i wouldn't do that..and yeah i am using that

Okay tested again today and ammonia is at 0 and nitrites are at 0. I feel like my pH is really high though..

Do you have any driftwood in there? That helps lower the pH naturally. I think peat moss does the same thing, although that will give you the "tannins" look, darker water.

Back
Top Bottom