I want Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly247

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking about getting a red clawed crab or 2. Right now in my 20g I have 3 neon tetras, 3 tiger barbs, African dwarf frog, Pakistani loach and a golden algae eater. What are the pros(if any) and cons(if any) of doing this?

I have two fiddler crabs, they technically are brackish even though petsmart told me freshwater lol. I have heard the fiddlers are less aggressive, make sure they have access to dry land and add aquarium salt if freshwater tank.

Careful they will go after fish while they sleep. Might start seeing fins missing lol

I would dedicate a whole tank to them just because they have different needs than the other fish in you tank! garage sales and craigslist normally have tanks for less than half the price of new ones!

greetings.

i once read up on crabs for aquaria, and it's really not something you want. they require brackish water, which means alot of aquarium fish and plants are not suited, and also increases expenses.
furthermore, they require access to dry land and if you are not careful, your tank can get alot of damage over time because when you add a whole lot of gravel to create a surface area, the weight is now larger in that end of the aquarium.

these terms apply if you want to give them an "ideal" home, i've read about people keeping them without satisfying these needs.

Back
Top Bottom