Ian086's 29g Planted Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not bad at all, I left mine for a week with no metricide, ferts and it was kind of pretty bad when I returned.. I'd say just trim and replant bonsai? As for ludwiga? Mine does the same thing..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank is looking splendid, Ian. Good progress and looks good for being away. Wish I could say the same about mine. Have you been looking for moss to place on the stone wall?

Hey guys/gals. Just back from holidays last night. Looked over the tank, which is in pretty good shape for 2wks away. No ferts, only glut added during that time. I didn't trust the house/dog minder to add ferts, I was right, the house was bad enough. Anyway, here's a very quick video of some critters I found in the corner of the tank. They are just in one corner of the tank. They are not much more than the size of a pinhead. Any ideas??.
Camera battery just died. I charge it for a bit and get another video/pictures and a full tank shot.....

My first guess is seed shrimp (ostracods). Or perhaps Copepods. Harmless crustaceans.

Not bad at all, I left mine for a week with no metricide, ferts and it was kind of pretty bad when I returned.. I'd say just trim and replant bonsai? As for ludwiga? Mine does the same thing..

Cheers Brookster. I was starting to think no-one cared anymore...haha. Gonna give the bonsai and ludwiga a good trim tomorrow or Sunday and replant. The ludwigia is too sparse looking.....

Tank is looking splendid, Ian. Good progress and looks good for being away. Wish I could say the same about mine. Have you been looking for moss to place on the stone wall?
Cheers Brian. I really need to dig my heals in and get things rolling on this, with stock and plants. Had a few 'issues' to deal with lately but should be back on track very soon.
I think i'll try chopping up a marimo ball and seeing how that looks. I didn't think the downai would grow that tall, it kinda hides the wall a bit. I really need to get something for behind the wall, it looks stupid.
I also think it's time to bury this thread. I think people have got bored with it a LONG time ago. It's gone on too long, with too little progress.
PS... Have you two guys been speaking with Old Scales lately??

What power level are you running your BML at? Downoi gets leggy under lower light, more compact growth with higher intensity.

Yeah increasing it might help.. but I forgot you're not running CO2. I'm not too sure with high light and glut. OS and Rivercats would know.

Yeah increasing it might help.. but I forgot you're not running CO2. I'm not too sure with high light and glut. OS and Rivercats would know.
I'll chance 70% and see how I go but any higher and I might be asking for trouble. It may seem silly to some to have got the XB without running it at 100% but Co2 is always an option in the future, just not right now. As you know and I have said many times, the options and availability of good lights in Europe is terrible.

Cheers Brookster. I was starting to think no-one cared anymore...haha. Gonna give the bonsai and ludwiga a good trim tomorrow or Sunday and replant. The ludwigia is too sparse looking.....

Cheers Brian. I really need to dig my heals in and get things rolling on this, with stock and plants. Had a few 'issues' to deal with lately but should be back on track very soon.
I think i'll try chopping up a marimo ball and seeing how that looks. I didn't think the downai would grow that tall, it kinda hides the wall a bit. I really need to get something for behind the wall, it looks stupid.
I also think it's time to bury this thread. I think people have got bored with it a LONG time ago. It's gone on too long, with too little progress.
PS... Have you two guys been speaking with Old Scales lately??

No man we are still on board. Just waiting till you got back. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nah man just jeep posting pictures! :popcorn: Just quietly following along... :hide:

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Welcome back mu Cara! Still following too. I would up to 70%. As far as high light and no CO2. You know I ran my 29g with quad T5HO pushing about 90 PAR using glut only. When you increase the light, just increase your glut dosing accordingly. I was at 20ml of 50;50 diluted Metricide daily and had good color and growth and almost no algae for over a year.
Later, OS.

If I were in your shoes I'd crank that baby up! I dose straight metricide a 1ml/2 gal. every day with sensitive fish and shrimp, plants love it and algae hates it..

Not to highjack but I wanted to ask brookster something.

Do you have a link to your tank journals or pics of your tanks. I am interested in seeing what you got.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome back mu Cara! Still following too. I would up to 70%. As far as high light and no CO2. You know I ran my 29g with quad T5HO pushing about 90 PAR using glut only. When you increase the light, just increase your glut dosing accordingly. I was at 20ml of 50;50 diluted Metricide daily and had good color and growth and almost no algae for over a year.
Later, OS.
I could resist turning that knob up yesterday. Currently at 70%. I have been dosing 30ml 50/50 for a few weeks now.

I could resist turning that knob up yesterday. Currently at 70%. I have been dosing 30ml 50/50 for a few weeks now.
I like pressing buttons too;) have you considered diy co2?

Back
Top Bottom