Ian086's 29g Planted Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's looking really good Ian :) you've done a great job with it!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks great!!!! I got a nerite about 10 days ago and it zipped around for a day and literally hasn't moved since. It's trapdoor is shut and it doesn't smell?? I think once they have a good feed they can go into sleep mode for up to 2 weeks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I hope that's the case with mine and yours!!!. I have never noticed this before. They were always very active in my 15g. Very fast moving for snails....lol. I'm thinking of adding some of the downai in front of the driftwood....too much or a good idea???. Feel free to recommend some other plant guys/gals....

It's looking really good Ian :) you've done a great job with it!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Thanks Lesley. It's far from finished but I am happy with it so far. Not too bad for a novice. I know it's been a long(boring) build but some situations were out of my control, particularly the light breaking. I did warn on my first post that it would be slow....haha

Looking good...I'm in it for the long haul... Patience is a virtue! Lol My tank is finally starting to get where I like it.

Tank looks great Ian. Water is good and clear. I think the floaties get less in time. My Eco-fine didn't settle down for about the first two months. Plants look nice and healthy. Just wait till they get some ferts and more light now. I bet you will be pleased. OS.

Looking good...I'm in it for the long haul... Patience is a virtue! Lol My tank is finally starting to get where I like it.
Thanks pittbully. Good to know a few people are still following...lol

Tank looks great Ian. Water is good and clear. I think the floaties get less in time. My Eco-fine didn't settle down for about the first two months. Plants look nice and healthy. Just wait till they get some ferts and more light now. I bet you will be pleased. OS.
Cheers cara. I racked the substrate slightly today to level it. **** it was like an Aquarium Snowglobe!!!. I wish I did wash it. Aw well, you learn as you go....haha. Of all the plants, I thought the AR mini would be the fastest grower. I know it early still but it's the one with the least growth. Maybe now that I've started re-adding the ferts it will take off......

Thanks pittbully. Good to know a few people are still following...lol

Cheers cara. I racked the substrate slightly today to level it. **** it was like an Aquarium Snowglobe!!!. I wish I did wash it. Aw well, you learn as you go....haha. Of all the plants, I thought the AR mini would be the fastest grower. I know it early still but it's the one with the least growth. Maybe now that I've started re-adding the ferts it will take off......

Is AR mini known to be a slow grower or is this a surprise?

Yep, even with plenty of CO2, light & ferts the AR mini grows medium/slow. That's what I like about it. Stays where you want it and you're not constantly trimming it. Unlike my wild child Ludwigia 'Cuba. OS.

Yep, even with plenty of CO2, light & ferts the AR mini grows medium/slow. That's what I like about it. Stays where you want it and you're not constantly trimming it. Unlike my wild child Ludwigia 'Cuba. OS.
I thought it was a fast grower!!!. Learn something new everyday....lol

Any progress photos Ian? Are you getting improved plant growth?
You just reminded me, I need to take some pictures. It's been quite slow growing although comparing the two pictures, it has grows a bit...lol. Maybe it time to ramp this beast up. I'm still running it at 50%. I am afraid of an algae outbreak or the diatoms exploding. I'm still doing the siesta period. I may increase the light to 60% tomorrow. I'm going away in a few weeks so i want to keep the tank as stable as possible before i go. I'm going to do a full water test tomorrow.....
The first picture was taken 3wks ago, the second 5mins ago...

Attachments

• DSCF0309.jpg
    DSCF0309.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0708.jpg
    DSCF0708.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 73
And more from tonight.....

Attachments

• DSCF0712.jpg
    DSCF0712.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0714.jpg
    DSCF0714.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0715.jpg
    DSCF0715.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF0717.jpg
    DSCF0717.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 70
More...

Attachments

• DSCF0720.jpg
    DSCF0720.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0722.jpg
    DSCF0722.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0724.jpg
    DSCF0724.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0726.jpg
    DSCF0726.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 83
That looks very promising ian!! From experience in going away and not keeping with the daily metricide dose.. I wish I had cut lighting to 2 hours a day.. it wasn't a pretty sight when I got home...something to consider man.. catch the fight?

Yea plants look a lot better! Especially the ludwigia and downoi.

I cant recommend enough getting tht fixture up to 100% lol. Its doing wonders for me. Im sure its going to turn around and kick me in the balls sooner or later though with algae!!

That looks very promising ian!! From experience in going away and not keeping with the daily metricide dose.. I wish I had cut lighting to 2 hours a day.. it wasn't a pretty sight when I got home...something to consider man.. catch the fight?

I have someone who will feed the fish while I'm gone for ten days. Just for easiness sake for him, could I dose my ferts and glut every other day or does it have to be daily. The less he has to do, the better for me and the fish. I will be using Repashy gel food for my other tanks, so no worries with that. It's the planted tanks I'm a bit concerned about. Good idea on the light time but will it cause any harm???
Yea plants look a lot better! Especially the ludwigia and downoi.

I cant recommend enough getting tht fixture up to 100% lol. Its doing wonders for me. Im sure its going to turn around and kick me in the balls sooner or later though with algae!!
Can I really run it at 100% without CO2. Some may ask why get the XB if your not going to run it at 100%. Well I most likely will get CO2 at some stage in the future. Also for the few extra bob, it was worth going bigger/brighter....

I have someone who will feed the fish while I'm gone for ten days. Just for easiness sake for him, could I dose my ferts and glut every other day or does it have to be daily. The less he has to do, the better for me and the fish. I will be using Repashy gel food for my other tanks, so no worries with that. It's the planted tanks I'm a bit concerned about. Good idea on the light time but will it cause any harm???

Can I really run it at 100% without CO2. Some may ask why get the XB if your not going to run it at 100%. Well I most likely will get CO2 at some stage in the future. Also for the few extra bob, it was worth going bigger/brighter....

Glut is an every day dose unfortunately. Only lasts in the water like 12-16 hours i think.

Ferts i would think would be ok to skip days and not cause too much harm.

I had forgotten that your not on pressurised co2 yet. Prob safer not to go to that level then. I defo think the siesta period offers a safety net on algae growth. Seems to be working very nicely for me

Some fish......finally!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0731.jpg
    DSCF0731.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0733.jpg
    DSCF0733.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0739.jpg
    DSCF0739.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0743.jpg