ich in my ten gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.tetreault

Aquarium Advice Freak
so my ten gallon tank has just been a pain to start up, its fully cycled, and has

1 dwarf gourami
5 neons
1 apple snail
1 nerite snail

i have gone through alot of neons, this is my second time buying them and one has just passed away, they also all have ich right now, are neons normally this sensitive to EVERYTHING? the first batch died because of a power outage, all my other fish were fine, now this :( how should i treat for ich in this tank? considering the snails, and the fact that i cannot move them to a different tank. im very frustrated with this tank, and have even had trouble cleaning the sand! :( :( :( help me

also i hear 86 is the temp that kills ich, will all my fish be okay with this temperature? how long should i have it at 86? and is it okay to just raise the temp and not use salt?

well thats it, i give up on neons, this is ridiculous 9 dead in a week and my water parameters are perfect. just did a water change last night. trying to raise the temp right now, but i doubt it will even go high enough, great.

I'm sorry about your neons. They are notoriously sensitive. Have you been getting them from the same shops in the same area? They might have been a very sensitive batch.
As for the ich, yes, you can just treat with heat.
Increase temp up to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase vacs and water changes
Leave the temp up for at least 1 week after the last spot is seen
All your fish and inverts will be fine at the higher temps.

thanks so much for replying! yes i did get them from the same place, if any of these neons survive i will fill out the school from a different shop...if they dont i think i'll just try another fish, such bad luck with neons!! Hopefully i will be able to raise the temp that high, i have the heater as high as it goes right now, i also have another small heater to add if needed

Sounds like you have it under control now :) raise the temp up over the next day - two days. The ich will get worse to begin with but should start to clear up after that.

okay thanks, my bad luck continues tho, just noticed my filter wasnt running, i fixed it, but that was likely the cause of death for the latest neon.... i dont even know when it stopped. :( it almost seems like this tank is destined to fail! lol

just did about 20% water change (was running around trying to get some aeration in there so im guessing i changed about 20% lol) , i checked my parameters earlier today and it was all the same as usual 0, 0, 10, thats been my normal readings since my tank has been cycled from borrowed media (about 2 weeks ago). i will check them again tomorrow to make sure it stays that way, and will also do another water change, would you recommend changing water every day to help with ich? or will that stress the fish too much?

okay so havent lost anymore fish, i got the temperature up to 87.5, it will probably go down overnight so im still trying to get it to about 88.

it feels weird raising the temperature this high, my boyfriend is convinced im trying to cook them lol

Back
Top Bottom