ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulabulla

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i found these tiny little critters on the glass of my tank. i noticed 2 , next 4 and now there are a lot more. i took a picture through a magnafying glass, its the best i could get it, sorry.. but im wondering what these are? could they be hydroids? brittle star babies? im stumped.
thanks for your input

Attachments

• 08-28-08 041.jpg
    08-28-08 041.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 49
here is a better picture i found and this is exactly what they look like.

Attachments

• White%20Spots%20on%20Glass.jpg
    White%20Spots%20on%20Glass.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 78
They are hydroid jellies. They are harmless and thier numbers will come and go depending on the nutrients in the water. They are pretty typical for newly set up tanks and will no doubt disappear over time.

I had hundreds all over my 34gal tank when it was about a month old... now it's almost 3months and don't have them anymore. Now just millions of Amphipods!!! (which of course are good)

thanks i thought thats what they were.. i have a ton of copepods as well an im not sure if thats how they feed. my goal is to get them all out. i will be doing dwarf seahorses and the hydroids will kill them. any way to help get rid of them physically to start eliminating? or is there a clean up crew member that likes to eat them?
thanks for the advice

Really, the best way to get rid of them that I can think of is to just keep your water pristine and they will/should die out on thier own. I don't know of anything off hand that will consume them and be part of your clean up crew. You could try manual removal as you see them. That would be tedious but may be a bit faster method. They are free swimming when wanting to move about and could be scooped out with a brine shrimp net.

When I had my seahorses the first thing they did was knock them jelly hydroids off. Went over all the glass and ate every one of them. Let them do the work.

Back
Top Bottom