ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canela

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-763855100.jpg

Is this dangerous? I have an identical one and two others that are also identical. I had a two inch crab that had this stuck to it after it molted, and was dead. I think it killed my crab.

Do they stay on you rocks or stay in that sand? If the spend most of their time hidden in the sand, and only come out to feed then they are likely nassarius snails, and the crab was probably already dead before the snail started cleaning up.

If they spend all of their time in the rocks then the are likely whelks, and may or may not be predatory.

Wait that blue looking see horse thing? Wild looking . Sorry I know nothing about salt water just creeping! How do you get an animal in your tank that big without noticing though?

You would be amazed at the size of some of the hitch hikers that can show up in a tank that have ridden in hidden in the crevices of love rock.

Also, sometimes with snails the are sold misidentified by fish stores. They will tell you it is one thing only to have it turn out to be something completely different.

You would be amazed at the size of some of the hitch hikers that can show up in a tank that have ridden in hidden in the crevices of love rock.

Also, sometimes with snails the are sold misidentified by fish stores. They will tell you it is one thing only to have it turn out to be something completely different.

Wait that blue thing is in the snail or separate ? I swear some things just look alien in the ocean

There is only one animal in the picture that I can see. The snail has its siphon extended smelling for food.

That's a whelk. They are predators, but I doubt they could take down crabs. Hard to say if it's bad or good without knowing what this one eats.

i would get rid of it i bought one from the lfs they said it was a conch but i found out after it killed 3 of my snails its bad for the tank

It's always on the rocks, it kills my snails all the time. It has gotten big. I have pics when it was tiny. Most of my clean up crew of 15 snails and 15 hermit crabs are gone. I have empty shells everywhere.

Its a crown conch..i had one that waa sold to me as a fighting conch.it does it snails all the time and if tou have any clams,they will attack as well.

Back
Top Bottom