Id please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its part of the elongatus species. It also depends on which part of lake Malawi its from meaning his genes

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Found this while on Dave's rare fish the male resembles your fish

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1405756751958.jpg
    1405756751958.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 80
If you got it from an assorted tank, it's probably a hybrid. They generally breed asst. mbuna in ponds down south, and are unlikely to keep certain collection points or less common species

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yep that too took the words out of my mouth I was gonna say usually when there are same species with both sexes they will just mate with each other. However if there isnt then they will cross breed for instance ob peacock has ob zebra in it its a hybrid.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On, that is not a Kenyi, probably a mutt, a pretty cool mutt though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Colored down it looked just like a kenyi to me. However, the new pics show otherwise pretty cool fish tho.

Thanks for trying to help me figure it out.. Not sure if I like his agression level yet as he is quite a bully but will keep an eye out for the agression and hopefully I don't any major problems. Thanks again:)

I got some info about your cichlid. Its a Mozambique elongatus look it my friend who owns a fish store and specifically African cichlids. You're welcome.

African Cichlids are my drug

I have a female chewere which is also elongatus and looks familiar to yours however my female is Brown with those blue markings like yours

Those r cute.. I originally asked for id because I was planning on putting this guy or girl on craigslist due to him starting to be aggressive but think I might keep him for now and just keep a close eye on him.. Definetly the meanest fish in my tank tho

There are several ways to curb aggression. A bigger more dominate fish, (not necessarily more aggressive) good male to female ratio, over stocking, rearranging decor often, over feeding, and having a "time out" tank for bully's, are a few. All have their downsides inherent.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I got some info about your cichlid. Its a Mozambique elongatus look it my friend who owns a fish store and specifically African cichlids. You're welcome.

Based on that there's barely any info on pseudotropheus demasoni "Mozambique", and they're really not for sale anywhere online, I doubt that OP would miraculously find one in an assorted mbuna tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Youre talking about damasoni not elongatus i l know what the difference is I have been in this hobby for awhile.

My friend John at kg tropicals has some Mozambique elongatus at his store right now he also sells the demasoni you speak of.

Back
Top Bottom