Impulse buy. My first cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know, I know. Impulse buy = bad bad bad. I bought a bag of "5" lepidiolamprologus hecqui at auction for a dollar. I've only seen one fish (there's a single shell in the bag) so I assume it's just one.
I know they're territorial. I know they need shells. I have a spare tank and a pal who will supply me with shells. It seems like for now this little dude will have a 20g all to him/herself.
Would it be best to look for a few more of them? I'm off to do some research now, forgive me.
Thanks in advance!

It really depends on the size of the fish. Your best bet is to buy other individuals as quickly as you possibly can and start the tank up with the group, as the territory will all be new to all of them. The main issue is that lepidolamprologus hecqui isn't exactly common. One of my favorites though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, I actually have seen two come out of the shell for now so at least it's not one solo. If I'm lucky maybe a pair then they can increase the population :)
They're a little over an inch long right now. I've never seen them before either and I couldn't pass them up for a buck.

I've seen all five out now yay!
Picked up some sand and shells and I'll be setting up the tank today.

That's awesome!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just be prepared to separate some out or move them to a larger tank. Hecqui are a larger shell dweller species and I believe Are more of a shell spawner rather than dweller, if I'm not mistaken. They're also fierce parents

Pictures!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The woman I sold my cories to actually has some of these guys an wants more so if I have issues between any of them, she would be happy to take any of them.
I only have some junk pics right now I'll take some when the tank is up! Rinsing sand now. Blah.

Heaheah! Rinsing sand is the worst..

I do it in the tank use the Python to blast it for 5 min then switch and suck the nasty water out. Repeat 3 x and fill. Skim the top with a net and done. This is with filter sand though not real dirty to start with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish are in the tank but haven't come out yet. Here's a pic of when I first saw them all at once and one of the new setup. If you think it's garbage and there's something I should do please tell me. I'd like to get moon snail shells instead of the ones in there but I'm going away for work for 2 days so I had to set them up with something:

Try escargot shells from Amazon. I personally use mexican turbo snail shells I pick up from various fish stores and they work well. I try to provide 5 shells per breeding adult and a place to hide for any outcast male, although I keep different species

What is the common name for these guys?

"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle." -- Irina Dunn

I'd add more structure.. some holey or lace rock..

Ok I don't have any obviously but will add it on my list of things to look for. I'm not big on empty looking tanks (my 55 drives me nuts) but I wasn't sure what else I should do for the time being. I thought I read somewhere that additional structures besides shells (rocks) can become an extension of the territory and maybe cause additional disputes? But you guys know better than me. I'm happy to put more hardscape in there.
I also have to keep an eye on the ph. I thought holey rock helped raise it? Mine tests around 8 as is.

I don't know!!! I just say stuff that I like!! Don't listen to me egg! You should know that by now; )

Haha Brookster nonsense I look forward to your advice. I just have to ask the questions! Wanna keep the finned children happy.
By the way, my name is Steph if you'd like, it's weird being called egg haha. Didn't think about that to start off.

Back
Top Bottom