Info on hatching brine shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pud2224

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd like to try hatching brine shrimp for my guppy fry, does anyone have some experience or info they could share? I have a general idea how to do it, but I'm not certain how to "gut-load" bbs or what to feed them to do it. Also where's a good place to get eggs for a good price?

Because you are dealing with a livebearer, you might want to skip the hatching part and use decapsulated brine shrimp. They are the same shrimp with all the nutritional aspects of newly hatched brine shrimp only without the eggshell. Much easier to deal with and more cost effective. I have purchased them on Ebay as well as from Brine Shrimp Direct. ( You may want to try ebay first for a smaller amount just to see how long you need to feed your fry before moving to the next stage.)

Hope this helps

Thanks I ordered some to try. I didn't know if the decapsulated eggs were better than feeding live bbs.

Thanks I ordered some to try. I didn't know if the decapsulated eggs were better than feeding live bbs.
Actually, they were new to me too when I got back into breeding fish. I always hatched out my shrimp. I did some research on the decap shrimp and the point that was posed was that the shrimp nuplii use some of the energy they store in their yolk sacs to hatch out of the shell making decapped shrimp more nutritious than even newly hatched brine shrimp.I suggest these only because as a live bearer fry, they are more matured at birth and able to handle the food a bit better than, say, egglayer fry. With egg layer fry, sometimes they need the motion of the food to get them to start eating. Some fry actually need other foods to get them large enough to even eat newly hatched brine shrimp. So I am just working with your situation vs fish as a whole (y) Thankfully, livebearer fry are not that difficult to raise.
Good luck with them. Maybe you can post your results (y)

I will be posting pictures as they grow, this is my first drop. So far so good! Thanks for the info, it really helped!

Back
Top Bottom