Inherited a 30gal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakesMcCoolWhip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A friend gave me a 30 gal complete with everything that his roommate dumped on him..including fish! There's a fist sized black moor, 4 of what I think are oto's, and 3 of what I think are bronze corys.

The tank was pretty nasty when I got it, full of green and red algae as well as a HOT magnum canister filter that wasn't running properly (I managed to fix it). It was full of live plants too. About 7 giant pieces of Anubias (which I just pruned because 50% of the leaves were completely algae covered), two of what I think are Amazon Swords, and some fern looking plant, along with a CO2 canister system that I don't know how to use. Rescaped it (looks really empty ATM) and the water is really murky.

Anyways, I was wondering if this tank if pretty much stocked to it's capacity, or can I add a few more fish (my angelfish is already hanging out in the tank), or should I just go about heavily planting this thing? I really wanted to get another fancy goldfish (hopefully a Ranchu) to keep the Moor company.

Thanks

Pancakes

I would take out the angelfish and get him his own tank, you could put another moor but keep up the PWCs. I would defiantly do more plants since you have the co2 canister thing, just check your lighting. I would wait for others to respond with the stocking thing since I'm still learning about stocking still!

From what i have read you might be over stocked since the Moore by itself needs a 30 gal. Also it is a cold water fish. The other fish are tropical fish.

It is not a good combo, you need to do tropical or cold water not both. That is a handsome goldfish.

Handsome devil indeed! He has a couple of missing scales and a small patch of raw skin at the join where the tail fin connects to the body. The tank used to be full of sharp driftwood that I took out. I heard something about the hardiness of the black moors to different temperatures on it's wiki entry. I can most likely move the angel, ottos and corys to a 15 gallon but that might be in the works for a month or so. Goldfish seems pretty happy ATM. the water cleared up a bit after my 50% pwc today

Back
Top Bottom