Injured Rasbora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I woke up this morning to find what looks like a bite taken out of my Haliquin Rasbora (spelling?). The injury appears to have the beginnings of an infection, there is some white kind of fuzzy stuff on it.
First of all, what fish could have done this?
My stocking list is:
5 Haliquin Rasboras
6 neon tetras
3 Dwarf Rainbows
3 Kerry Tetras
1 silver hatchet fish
2 fancy rosy barbs
1 killifish (not sure what kind)
2 upside down catfish
2 SAE
All in a 90 gallon planted tank

As far as options go for quarantine, I have a 20 gallon that is set up ready to go. Should i move the injured fish into the 20 gallon? Or will pwc in the 90 fix the problem? In your opinion should I jump straight to medication, if so what kind?
Thank you!

fishfanatic said:
I woke up this morning to find what looks like a bite taken out of my Haliquin Rasbora (spelling?). The injury appears to have the beginnings of an infection, there is some white kind of fuzzy stuff on it.
First of all, what fish could have done this?
My stocking list is:
5 Haliquin Rasboras
6 neon tetras
3 Dwarf Rainbows
3 Kerry Tetras
1 silver hatchet fish
2 fancy rosy barbs
1 killifish (not sure what kind)
2 upside down catfish
2 SAE
All in a 90 gallon planted tank

As far as options go for quarantine, I have a 20 gallon that is set up ready to go. Should i move the injured fish into the 20 gallon? Or will pwc in the 90 fix the problem? In your opinion should I jump straight to medication, if so what kind?
Thank you!

I don't know if I would go as far as a qt tank just for a small harlequin. I had something similar and I did a salt bath for thirty minutes (4 tsp salt per gallon in a separate bucket) and I did water changes every day with improvement.

George9 said:
I don't know if I would go as far as a qt tank just for a small harlequin. I had something similar and I did a salt bath for thirty minutes (4 tsp salt per gallon in a separate bucket) and I did water changes every day with improvement.

Will the API aquarium salt suffice? Did you repeat the salt bath, or did you only do it once?

If this really is an injury then I don't need to worry about it harming my other fish, right?

fishfanatic said:
Will the API aquarium salt suffice? Did you repeat the salt bath, or did you only do it once?

If this really is an injury then I don't need to worry about it harming my other fish, right?

Yup! API salt is fine

It won't harm any other fish. I did a salt bath once, then 50% pwc daily. It should clear up. If you see signs of stress during the bath, remove him and put him back into the main tank

If you see no improvement after a few days, you can remove the fish from the tank and dab a little peroxide on the fuzziness to kill the bacteria.

George9 said:
Yup! API salt is fine

It won't harm any other fish. I did a salt bath once, then 50% pwc daily. It should clear up. If you see signs of stress during the bath, remove him and put him back into the main tank

If you see no improvement after a few days, you can remove the fish from the tank and dab a little peroxide on the fuzziness to kill the bacteria.

What kinds of signs will I be looking for, to see if the fish is stressed?
This may sound like a silly question, but could I gust float a bag in the tank that is full of the salt water? That way the temp would remain constant, but would the salt disperse into the tank, through osmosis?

I don't think that the salt will transfer into your main tank. Even if it does, having a little salt in your tank will be just fine for your freshwater fish. API salts are actually very helpful for freshwater fish. Adding just a little salt into the water will help keep the electro lights at the right place. Also,if you find that the salt water bath Is not enough I would recommend taking your finish placing it Into the 20gallon tank also with a few friends so the fish will have company. Than I would dose the water with a medication called lifeguard. These are tablets that you can buy at any pet store. But remember to take out the active carbon the filter while you are dosing your fish. Also, the medication will not harm your other fish that aren't sick. If you have any questions let me know.

fishfanatic said:
What kinds of signs will I be looking for, to see if the fish is stressed?
This may sound like a silly question, but could I gust float a bag in the tank that is full of the salt water? That way the temp would remain constant, but would the salt disperse into the tank, through osmosis?

I'd just siphon about a gallon of tank water into a bucket, and add some salt. Then put the fish in. Watch if he starts grasping or turning on his side, if he does, remove immediately. The bag sounds like it would be more stressful.

If daily water changes dont do anything, I'd revert to meds. But not until We see what pwcs do. The fungus growth only effects injured or sick fish . It will not effect healthy fish. That's why clean water will do wonders

Yesterday I did a 30 minute salt water dip (like George said to do). He seemed to do okey, when i first put him back in the tank he was quite pale in color but about 10 minutes later he was almost fully colored again. Today I didn't notice any white fuzz but the scales and flesh is still missing.
I think they key now is VERY clean water?

fishfanatic said:
Yesterday I did a 30 minute salt water dip (like George said to do). He seemed to do okey, when i first put him back in the tank he was quite pale in color but about 10 minutes later he was almost fully colored again. Today I didn't notice any white fuzz but the scales and flesh is still missing.
I think they key now is VERY clean water?

Yes, you want to make sure your water stays very clean to reduce the chance on him getting an infection. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom