Intro and new fake saltwater tank and soon to be Oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the dietary info I needed regarding the tropheus. I have abandoned the Oscar idea for now and have purchased 3 small peacock cichlids for the 20 long. The peacocks will join my bumblebees, red zebra and kenyi soon in a 90 gal I've found on craigslist. Meanwhile I have a nice pair of veil tail bettas and dragon scale bettas to breed as a spare time project (2 goals, nicely colored veil tail dragon scales and crown tail half moons).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Breeding bettas is a lot different than breeding regular fish and they require lots of extra care, but I'm sure you did your research from what I can tell :) good luck!

Yes, I've actually done it before with some success. Having a male that doesn't rip everything you put with him to pieces is pretty crucial. I've got my veil tales near each other and actually put them next to each other once a day for a few minutes. No bubble nest yet but he dances for her like he is interested.

That's good! I've only attempted it twice and never had any luck!

Its tough. They're so aggressive its hard on the females. This will be only a few runs, its just for me to get a few of my own. I'll give a few away etc.

I found the dietary info I needed regarding the tropheus. I have abandoned the Oscar idea for now and have purchased 3 small peacock cichlids for the 20 long. The peacocks will join my bumblebees, red zebra and kenyi soon in a 90 gal I've found on craigslist. Meanwhile I have a nice pair of veil tail bettas and dragon scale bettas to breed as a spare time project (2 goals, nicely colored veil tail dragon scales and crown tail half moons).

Make sure if your kenyi is a male it has AT MINIMUM 3 females

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I currently only have a female. I'm scouring the lfs's around for another female or two and a male.

Good job. But yeah if you only have one female and the male has already gotten his yellow color he will chase and harass your female til it dies. Then terrorize the rest of your tank. Super aggressive fish

Good luck with your tanks tho! That oscar journey would be quite an experience! Too bad gallons upon gallons are necessary to keep two let alone breed them! Have fun creating a beautiful tank!

I need to post some pics of my peacocks but they're staying hidden, is this normal? 3 small peacocks in a very well planted(fake) and caved tank. 1 cfl on the tank. Its not very bright so I don't think its that. Basically the 3 peacocks stay hidden and nothing moves. Would some snails and a few bottom feeders going about their business make them more comfortable? More peacocks needed?

Here is two of the peacocks. I need to know they're sex and specific type (I know no one can tell from these most likely). They came from an 'assorted peacock cichlid' tank. I've hardly seen them enough to tell. I'll try to get some better pictures.

Attachments

• 1396400473289.jpg
    1396400473289.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 1396400613833.jpg
    1396400613833.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 131
This is just my opinion, but if your goal is to breeding fish, you need to be buying specific species rather than randomly buying from an assorted tank and asking for I.D.s. Most female peacocks are too close in appearance for valid I.D.s on the internet and both peacocks and mbuna will hybridize like crazy. The first step in any good breeding program is spending the time, effort and money to get good stock to start your program with.

Not trying to be rude here, but the way you are going about this is somewhat similar to someone going to the dog pound, getting a bunch of random dogs that look like they might be purebred, and then throwing them together to see what happens.

Starting with quality produces quality, starting with mixtures only results in more mixtures (or mutts as the case may be ;)).

Oh of course! In a perfect world I would immediately set up two 100+ gallon tanks and order some expensive adult trios from a reputable breeder. Unfortunately I'm just starting back up with fish and the equipment alone that I need would run me close to $1000. I'm also 100% new to breeding cichlids. I've kept them but never attempted breeding, so this is my dry run.

Also I disagree with your dog pound analogy. Its not going to the pound and buying mutts, its more like going to the pound for what the pound tells you are pure breed. Whether they are or not could be debatable. Keep in mind my ops, these are coming from a knowledgeable LFS, all my original stock were individually labelled correct pure breeds. The peacocks are actually bred by owner of the LFS, unfortunately he breeds three varieties but throws all the juveniles in groups together in a huge bow front. He claimed to be able to differentiate them and also his stock is nice.

Overall my goals are to breed down the road, currently I'm just enjoying my cichlids. They're all juvies so there is no guarantee I even have a pair of anything. Once the equipment is here and I'm more comfortable attempting it I'm going to order some of the nicer online stock. Thanks so much for your reply!

Just an update. Ive now had the 20 high with the Malawi cichlids for 40 days. I'm at 21 days on my peacock cichlid tank. Both still showing 0 ppm amm, nitri, nitra. The peacocks are still very timid. I have separated the 20 long horizontally in 3 pieces with tall fake plants to in effect border off 3 separate yards for them. It seems to be curbing aggression.

Another update now a few months in... the fake reef setup is now down to the red zebra and two bumblebees. I lost my mbuna to stress. The peacocks are still happy in their group of 3. They still hide a lot and I intend to add a few schoolers to ease the tension.

All is well and the #'s look good and fish look healthy. I'll try to add pics soon.

Added a blackfin catfish to the peacock tank. Added a rainbow shark too but I may move him due to pH and tank size.

So just a quick update. The peacocks have outgrown their 20 long, them and the rainbow shark along with my original bumblebee and red zebra are moving into a new 60 gallon today. Currently the stock list will be:
1 3.5 inch Red Zebra
1 3.25 inch bumblebee
1 2.75 inch convict (female)
2 3.5 inch peacocks
1 4 inch rainbow shark
1 2 inch ice blue
1 2 inch acei

I also have a 2.25 inch flower horn that I hope to include.

I'm also looking for 2 more convicts, 1-2 more peacocks and a few other Malawi cichlids.

So just a quick update. The peacocks have outgrown their 20 long, them and the rainbow shark along with my original bumblebee and red zebra are moving into a new 60 gallon today. Currently the stock list will be:
1 3.5 inch Red Zebra
1 3.25 inch bumblebee
1 2.75 inch convict (female)
2 3.5 inch peacocks
1 4 inch rainbow shark
1 2 inch ice blue
1 2 inch acei

I also have a 2.25 inch flower horn that I hope to include.

I'm also looking for 2 more convicts, 1-2 more peacocks and a few other Malawi cichlids.

A flower horn has no business with that stock. The con should be moved also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom