Invert chat, <3 spineless critters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MABJ said:
Yeah! They molt to keep their shells healthy and continue growing.

Afterwards they even eat their exoskeletons for the added calcium they expended from the molt!

I have already removed it  did not know that it would eat it! so I should leave it in there next time. Thanks for all ur help MABJ 

Fishy Aston said:
Will an Asscain Snail kill an Apple Golden Snail And A Netrite Snail?

Also I cant seem to find zebra print Snails in any LFS

Should i shop online for them. I just dont trust the web for that kind of thing
Am i wrong?

Yes it would eat those .As I said before I have ordered snails and fish online with no probs ! Pay with paypal and then ur covered . OR call ur lfs to ORDER them in 4 u!!

Okay so I'm thinking about making my own shrimp/fish/snail food. So far the ingredients (sadly i had to google how to spell ingredients) are spinach, peas, zucchini, cucumber, turnip greens, algae wafers, gelatin, and calcium. Think they'll like it? Not sure on the amount of each i should put in what do ya'll think? Oh crap i forgot I also got uncooked shrimp fully shelled. Think I will go fairly light on the shrimp don't want too much protein or do I?

Caroline79 said:
I have already removed it  did not know that it would eat it! so I should leave it in there next time. Thanks for all ur help MABJ 

You're absolutely welcome. That's what this thread is here for :)

Sake said:
Okay so I'm thinking about making my own shrimp/fish/snail food. So far the ingredients (sadly i had to google how to spell ingredients) are spinach, peas, zucchini, cucumber, turnip greens, algae wafers, gelatin, and calcium. Think they'll like it? Not sure on the amount of each i should put in what do ya'll think? Oh crap i forgot I also got uncooked shrimp fully shelled. Think I will go fairly light on the shrimp don't want too much protein or do I?

Well, I'd mix a little of the shrimp in, they're not carnivores, but perhaps before you jump right in, try to figure out the mineral contents of all the veggies.

First thing that came to my mind was spinach for calcium and cucumber/lettuce for other general grazing needs. I don't know if you want to put too much in, especially if they don't need it :).

I laughed about spelling ingredients xD.

You've gotta isolate your target shrimp, too. Is this for RCS or ghost shrimp? Ect.

Nobody ever confirmed or denied wether or not RCS and fire shrimp are from the same Latin name.

If they aren't, then they may not interbreed.

Actually it's for everything! lol I plan on making a few different batches some for ghost some, RCS, tropical, and snails. The RCS mix will be easy to feed cause they will all be in a 10 gallon alone, the fish/snail mix should be easy enough fish will eat the floating stuff and snails will hopefully eat the sinking stuff. Also I won't be using this as my main food, just a treat here and there, I'm not confident it would cover the entire spectrum of minerals/vitamins they need.

MABJ said:
Nobody ever confirmed or denied wether or not RCS and fire shrimp are from the same Latin name.

If they aren't, then they may not interbreed.

I believe they are the same just culled for best color!

Yeah I've always been led to believe fire shrimp were super colored RCS.

Hi I am a newbie here and also love shrimp. This sub forum is a great idea, as the shrimp are quickly becoming a big interest of mine.

But I was wondering does anyone keep bivalves/ mussels or clams in freshwater tanks here? I will post a new thread for this idea.

I don't know if they're culled for best color simply because reds are slightly translucent, you can see their eggs.

This isn't the case with fire Reds.

It leads me to believe they're some color variant if anything.

MABJ said:
I don't know if they're culled for best color simply because reds are slightly translucent, you can see their eggs.

This isn't the case with fire Reds.

It leads me to believe they're some color variant if anything.

You can see the eggs of fire reds. I have a few. I'm pretty sure they are the same as red cherry shrimp but culled to be super bright.

Autumnsky said:
Hi I am a newbie here and also love shrimp. This sub forum is a great idea, as the shrimp are quickly becoming a big interest of mine.

But I was wondering does anyone keep bivalves/ mussels or clams in freshwater tanks here? I will post a new thread for this idea.

Hey there! Thanks, and welcome.

I've considered freshwater clams, as the goal of my tank is a bunch of symbiotic relationships.

I learned that clams can be nice, but don't truly take bad stuff out of the water.

They filter feed other things, not necessarily bad or good, just nutrients, out of the water. But if they die, they are quite toxic if they die in a closed environment.

maxwellag said:
You can see the eggs of fire reds. I have a few. I'm pretty sure they are the same as red cherry shrimp but culled to be super bright.

I saw some pictures of some you certainly couldn't see the eggs of! How odd.

They're named like "Sakura painted fire red" don't quote me on the name, but I was assuming that's what everybody was talking about.

Hmm a mystery we should solve here in invert thread.

MABJ said:
I saw some pictures of some you certainly couldn't see the eggs of! How odd.

They're named like "Sakura painted fire red" don't quote me on the name, but I was assuming that's what everybody was talking about.

Hmm a mystery we should solve here in invert thread.

Yes with painted fire reds you shouldn't be able to see the eggs if so then they're just rcs

Fire Reds or PFRS are deeply colored RCS. As with any Shrimp, some variation can occur. If you keep culling lighter color Shrimp ( by culling I mean selling or rehoming, not killing ) and occasionally adding in some fresh bloodlines with good color, your stock should be amazing.

Even normal Cherries can get great color through careful section and exclusion. I have some very red Shrimp ;)
Not as solid red as Fire Reds, but very nice.

Coursair said:
Fire Reds or PFRS are deeply colored RCS. As with any Shrimp, some variation can occur. If you keep culling lighter color Shrimp ( by culling I mean selling or rehoming, not killing ) and occasionally adding in some fresh bloodlines with good color, your stock should be amazing.

Even normal Cherries can get great color through careful section and exclusion. I have some very red Shrimp ;)
Not as solid red as Fire Reds, but very nice.

Thanks for your valuable insight :).

I want to do this with mine and send my culls to the lfs :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom