Invert safe meds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I used to use Quick Cure predominantly.

Then I switched to Melafix/Pimafix after I added RCS to my tank.

My question is with the plethora of meds and info out there, just what is safe for inverts?

I'm asking for personal experience and general knowledge from users. I'm trying to avoid having to read tons of labels and possibly buy something that will poison my guys.

At the same time I don't want my fish to suffer either. I do have a small cycled 5 gallon but its currently in use as a QT for some cories. It also houses a few RCS and snails that I found in my filter boxes and excess plant trimmings.

Thanks AA.

Unfortunately, there isnt a 'set' list of meds that may or may not affect inverts. Some are dangerous to all inverts, some are dangerous to some types of inverts and some are either not a risk or only a risk when used at specific dosages. Read the packages and do your research. My suggestion is to move any inverts when using any med in the tank or keep the inverts seperately from the fish in general. There really should not be anything in the qt other than the fish you are quaratining so you can treat them appropriately if needed.

Melafix (supposed to be used for 7 days) for bacterial problems nearly killed all of my fish by O2 deprivation on day 5 of treatment, only the sick fish is not going to make it at this point,he is in the freezer now, hopefully the others will recover. However, it didn't seem to have touched my Cleaner shrimp, hermits, emeralds. One snail is dead too. I will never use that stuff again!

Melafix (supposed to be used for 7 days) for bacterial problems nearly killed all of my fish by O2 deprivation on day 5 of treatment, only the sick fish is not going to make it at this point,he is in the freezer now, hopefully the others will recover. However, it didn't seem to have touched my Cleaner shrimp, hermits, emeralds. One snail is dead too. I will never use that stuff again!
You clearly didn't follow the instructions spot on, that or you didn't have enough aeration. I have studied this subject about the melafix controversy of suffocating fish due to it's oil content, but if used as directed, it doesn't harm the fish(apart from the actual antibiotic action). If not, then the fish you had were at a too advanced stage of a certain pathogen development for melafix to help them any further as it is a mild antibiotic.

You clearly didn't follow the instructions spot on, that or you didn't have enough aeration. I have studied this subject about the melafix controversy of suffocating fish due to it's oil content, but if used as directed, it doesn't harm the fish(apart from the actual antibiotic action). If not, then the fish you had were at a too advanced stage of a certain pathogen development for melafix to help them any further as it is a mild antibiotic.

Please be careful of what you are advising. 35gSWfish responded in respect to effects he encountered with melafix in a saltwater tank. Melafix also is NOT an antibiotic. It has 'antiseptic' properties at best. Antiseptics will weaken and slow bacterial growth, however, antiseptics can actually inhibit wound healing. Antibiotics actually kill bacteria but are bacteria specific- for example, a gram positive antibiotic will have no effect on gram negative bacteria. Please check out some of the scientific links in the thread below for more information on melafix.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/melafix-treatment-vs-filter-223392.html

Please be careful of what you are advising. 35gSWfish responded in respect to effects he encountered with melafix in a saltwater tank. Melafix also is NOT an antibiotic. It has 'antiseptic' properties at best. Antiseptics will weaken and slow bacterial growth, however, antiseptics can actually inhibit wound healing. Antibiotics actually kill bacteria but are bacteria specific- for example, a gram positive antibiotic will have no effect on gram negative bacteria. Please check out some of the scientific links in the thread below for more information on melafix.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/melafix-treatment-vs-filter-223392.html
Hmm, then I must have gotten the wrong word. I have seen multiple website call it an mild anti-biotic, even an anti-bacterial(might be an antiseptic). Then my excuses to 35gSWfish:)
Good Luck Anyways:D

Thanks but I am very well capable of measuring 17.5 mL of the melafix soln, with a syringe and placing it into the water (into the power heads for good distribution) every day. 3 snails are dead, so are both of my cleaner shrimps, and the affected clown fish. The Dori (that looked near dead on the bottom) and the 2nd clown fish and the puffer (all of which were hyperventilating) recovered (within 24hrs) after 25% water change. This product is unsafe, I wouldn't recommend it as directed, maybe it does some good in a diluted form, I should have stopped after 2 or 3 days. The hyperventilating started after 3 days, decreased appetite after 4 days, near death after 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom