iodine levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ksnell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am the new owner of some mushroom corals and torch coral, and my LFS told me that I should be adding iodine to my water to help them. I've been adding purple up to my water since my tank finished cycling 4 monthes ago, and its kept the calcium levels up around 480 and allegedly it adds iodine to the system as well. i only have a 20 gallon tank, and i almost caused my tank to crash once already by adding micro-invert to feed some star polyps whose nutrient requirements i was misinformed about. i don't want to kill my tank with too much iodine but my mushroom is looking a little saggy right now (all levels are normal). Should I assume I'm good with the purple up, or should I add a little bit of iodine? Check my info for tank specs. Thanks.

You need to be testing Alk, ca, mg, po4 and po3 levels. 480 ppm ca is high and can (Will) cause ph/alk to slip without contstant attention. I suspect your chemistry is a bit off though that doesn't mean its the sole issue the shroom. Never dose what your not testing for, how else will you know when to stop??? How about posting all the tank params?

Peace.

With just those corals your tank would get all the iodine it needs with PWC. If you had a large tank stocked full of corals maybe. The only thing you need is weekly PWC.

cool, i'll just keep up with those PWCs then. my parameters so far seem to be pretty ok, so i'm hoping the mushroom comes around eventually.

amm - 0
nitrate - 0
pH 8.2
calcium - 480
sp. grav. - 1.025

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom