Irish girl needing more advice !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm personally not a fan of any bottled bacteria or cycling products. Ive heard too many stories of crashed bio-filters that we've linked back to one of the "instant cycling" products. I think the best two items for a successful fish-in cycle are a bucket and a bottle of Prime.

Here's a good article you can check out though...it's a bit long winded, but gives some great info and also reviews many of the cycling products.
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle and cycling. Methods for ammonia, nitrite removal.

I agree eco, I'm not a fan either, but I used some of these years ago and didn't have any issues with my tank crashing. I'm always leery of "stories" because of all the variables involved. Carbon stories are a perfect example.

Today's results still no wc done from Friday .. Ammonia 0-0.25, nitrites 0.25 and nitrates 0 ... Going to do a pwc of around 50% now! Have not used the kb safe water but it sounds very like prime only it doesn't dichloride the tap water !

Water test done approx 24hrs after 50% pwc .. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 0 ?? I'm totally lost :-(

Attachments

• image-3655587755.jpg
    image-3655587755.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 76
donna541 said:
Water test done approx 24hrs after 50% pwc .. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 0 ?? I'm totally lost :-(

Are you absolutely, 100% sure you are doing the nitrAte test right? You have to shake the #2 solution VERY hard for a full 30 seconds. Once you have added both the solutions, shake the entire test tube vigorously for a full minute. The solution likes to solidify and you really need to shake it to get accurate results.

donna541 said:

Nope, you're fine. It takes time, just keep and eye on the ammo and no2 so they don't get too high. Eventually you'll see no3 and get close to finishing your cycle.

+1 with Mr. Limpet. Try and be patient a little longer, I know it's rough. But you will get there, we all have sooner or later.

Ye ha I'm officially cycled and no fish died thank goodness ... Thanks for all ur help and support :)

YAAA!!! :dance::dance::dance: Congrats. on both. It a great feeling isn't it, knowing you and your fish made it through? It's also a great feeling to know that the hardest part is OVER. Now you can sit back enjoy your fish so much more, instead of :banghead: work and worry.

Back
Top Bottom