is anything easy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Noted. The light and the substrate came in the mail. Currently waiting for Metricide and ferts to ship. Almost ready to order plants.

Where do you guys recommend ordering your plants from? Any advice on first time purchase? I'm going to try to cover about 75% of the tank floor. Also thinking of purchasing tongs or tweezer-type tool.

Noted. The light and the substrate came in the mail. Currently waiting for Metricide and ferts to ship. Almost ready to order plants.

Where do you guys recommend ordering your plants from? Any advice on first time purchase? I'm going to try to cover about 75% of the tank floor. Also thinking of purchasing tongs or tweezer-type tool.

All mine have came from users on here and from Ebay

Caleb

I got tongs/tweezers and scissors from Amazon.
Check the classified section for plants. You will often find plants for sale, trade, or free.
Initially I purchased plants from Aquarium Plants dot com. Great selection and healthy plants but IMO the shipping costs was a little high. Planted Aquariums Central is another place I've purchased plants from.
PetSmart sells the Topfin brand of tissue culture plants. These are in the clear plastic packages and tubes. I've had good success with these. Be wary of the ones in tubes; some are amphibious plants that are not completely aquatic. Sometimes they are labeled as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those little tools will become your best friend when you have tiny plants like star repens, pogo, hairgrass, etc.

This is the only picture I have of mine.. It was a 3 pack 1 scissors and 2 tweezers, 1 tweezer is straight and the other as you see in the picture is curved.

http://i.imgur.com/vUw6gcH.jpg

Caleb

Was looking for Hygrophila polysperma, but came across Hygrohila Difformis AKA: Water Wisteria. Would this be okay for total newb in addition to others? Or is this a difficult plant to keep?

Was looking for Hygrophila polysperma, but came across Hygrohila Difformis AKA: Water Wisteria. Would this be okay for total newb in addition to others? Or is this a difficult plant to keep?

Wisteria is very easy to keep given good lighting and nutrients.

Caleb

How about Ludwig Peruenisis? I could not find the Oriental Luwiga.

I got a lot of mileage out of a gel pack of crypts at PetSmart. I got one marked 50% off even ... Removed the dead ones, separated the individual plants, they covered an area about 6"x6" and with osmocote root tabs they grew fast.

I let them sit for several days in a dish of tank water that I changed a few times a day, just because it took me awhile to separate then plant them. I don't know if this ended up being some acclimation system that prevented melt, or if I just got lucky.

The generic "assorted swords" do well for me too.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Peabodys paradise is a fantastic site to order plants from. Its actually ran by a member of the forums here.

As for plants, if you want a beautiful large plant i highly recommend aponogeton ulvaceus. Its a root hungry beautiful plant.

I recommend the classifieds section on this site. There are some very generous people here that will give you a good deal, and you'll be able to get submersed plants rather than emersed plants most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you're looking for anything you can't find on places like Peabodys Paradise or your LFS I'd recommend PlantedTank.net's classified section. Nothing wrong with AA's classified section, of course, but TPT has like 100x more stuff and the prices are generally extremely reasonable. Feel free to pm me if you need any recommendations on vendors to buy from and stuff.

AWESOME!!! The pond is completely over run with the stuff. I'm gonna save SO MUCH CASH. I put it in my old tank after washing it, and the fish are really enjoying it. Good thing it's summer time.

Oh crap, forgot to ask the $24 QUESTION OF THE DAY......

I've read that Jungle Val, Anacharis and Riccia Fluitans melts when liquid c02 is added. I'll be using Metricide. Will I want to avoid these plants?
ANY EXPERIENCE?

Super important because I'm ordering tomorrow. THANKS. :fish2:

No way. I add a lot of it and my elodea (anacharis) grows like a weed. I don't have the other 2 so i don't have any idea about them.

Excited! Plants finally came today. Tank is filling right now. AHHH!!!:D
When do I start the filter? When do I start the liquid C02? Thanks.

55 gal
finnex 24/7
Amazonia Soil (Osmocote Plus below it)
Mopani wood (old)
I read that all of the following plants are pretty hardy so here's what I got...
java fern
petite anubias
jungle val
star repens
water sprite
dwarf hairgrass
local pond hornwort and another pond plant
golden jenny
green myrio
small crypts
amazon sword

YEAH!!!!

Not that anyone remembers when I first posted this, but I just wanted to give you guys here at Aquarium Advice a gigantic THANK YOU!!!!

I went through some trials, but have had my tank up and running since Sept 13 (after MANY HOURS of picking your brains). I know my tank may not be everyones cup of tea (or whatever). But...

I FINALLY HAVE MY DREAM TANK!!! I started questioning here the day after Takashi Amano died (unknowingly). And I can't help but think where this would be without his influence. Did you guys know that he was the first one to figure out that C02 was needed in a tank and he actually put some sort of carbonated soda in to test his theory. I'm so thankful.

Yeah sure I've had a little algae, a little melt, but now everything is growing like weeds. It's low tech, but even the Anubias already has 5 new leaves. I'm just really excited.

Finally....THANK YOU AGAIN. I can't figure out how to post pics. :fish2:

Not that anyone remembers when I first posted this, but I just wanted to give you guys here at Aquarium Advice a gigantic THANK YOU!!!!

I went through some trials, but have had my tank up and running since Sept 13 (after MANY HOURS of picking your brains). I know my tank may not be everyones cup of tea (or whatever). But...

I FINALLY HAVE MY DREAM TANK!!! I started questioning here the day after Takashi Amano died (unknowingly). And I can't help but think where this would be without his influence. Did you guys know that he was the first one to figure out that C02 was needed in a tank and he actually put some sort of carbonated soda in to test his theory. I'm so thankful.

Yeah sure I've had a little algae, a little melt, but now everything is growing like weeds. It's low tech, but even the Anubias already has 5 new leaves. I'm just really excited.

Finally....THANK YOU AGAIN. I can't figure out how to post pics. :fish2:

Wow, I didn't know that he died. I assumed he was still scaping. :(

But I'm glad your tank worked out well! Does everything grow well? Even the Star. Repens?

Post a picture!

How can i post a pic directly to my page and not a link? From a Mac? Or from an iPhone?

Back
Top Bottom