is my 55 gallon overpopulated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mottoman216

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
*first tank ever* about 4 months in now.

I have:
11 corydoras (6 peppered, 2 julii, 2 albino, 1 other forgot name)
6 white skirt tetras
6 green lantern platys
3 oto catfish
1 blue neon dwarf gourami
5 Nerite snails

over populated or can I add more? or is this just the right amount?

Thanks!

In my opinion it seems fine as is, the rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish to 1 gallon of water, but its always more complicated, you also don't want to overstock levels of your tank as well. 55 gal is a big tank, as of right now it seems like for your bottom feeder/ low level you 14 fish 1in -2in, for you Shoalling/Mid level you have 12 fish all about 2in -2.5in, and your Top level your dwarf Gourami about 3in probably and most likely enjoys its own space. Snails and other invers I usually don't count unless you have a ton of them.

All in all I'd say if you want a few more it'd be fine, stay away from more bottom level fish like Pleco's/Rainbow Sharks/Cory's as you have the most of those. The amount depends on the size, if you want something big like Gourami's id keep it to 2-3, something shcoalling size like mollies or tetras 3-5.

If anything, I think you have plenty of room for more fish. None of those produce high bioloads. As the tank matures, three more otos might be nice (they're happy in groups). Maybe some neons or other colorful tetra to contrast with the white skirts. What kind of filtration do you have on it?

Back
Top Bottom