Is my Betta sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kiaramarr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I came home last night and we thought my beloved Betta, Neymar, was dead. He was in a corner at the bottom of his tank and wasn't moving. He is usually super active but he's been recently sitting at the bottom and very occasionally coming up for air. What could this be a sign of? I recently made a filter and it was working fine but could this have impacted him negatively? IMG_1478957935.737940.jpg Any help would be great! Thanks

It would be very helpful for us to know things like your tank size, how long it's been up, any tank mates, water parameters (temperature, pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc), what you feed and how often, and how big and regularly you do water changes.

He's all by himself and it's a 2 gallon size tank. I do partial water every week and a full water whenever I see needed so mostly once a month. I feed him twice a day(morning and evening). I'm fairly new to caring for a fish and I'm still learning new things and I don't have a water test kit. I'm planning on getting one later today

Yeah that was when I was changing the water. It has more now but I was making his water warmer. Yes it does have a filter

So what were the peramiters?
(If tested already)

It may be that a large water change or filter cleaning caused a micro cycle?

Also a heater would help bring up the health of the water and the fishy. (If you havent gotten one yet)
...take the temp now with an aquarium thermometer , then once the heater is in slowly heat it up a couple degrees every few hours till it get up to where it should be (about 75-80) over the course of a couple days.
A sharp jump in temp either way will not be good

Ahh i see....

Well than sounds like some seachem Prime and Seachem Stability BB starter would be a good idea eh?

My ammonia was at 0[emoji4] My mom had actually placed a rock in the tank without me realizing and it had paint so I think that was something. Yes I just got a heater so I will be adding that in. Thanks for all the info and help! He's doing better!

I believe my test kit only had the ammonia levels. As I said I am still learning about everything and it's a bit overwhelming. Could you tell me what this test is for?

So what im referung to is something called the "Nitrogen Cycle" and every aquarium keeper keeds to know it forwards and back, googe it :)

In short...
1.Fish produce Ammonia

2.Bacteria eat ammonia and produce Nitrites (with an "i") which are even more toxic.

3.another bacteria comes along and eats Nitrites and produces Nitates (with an "a") which are not very harmful at all.

These bacteria are grown in the peatry dish that is your filter and its contents, this process can take a few weeks.

So for yer fish friend to be safe both Ammonia and Nitrites have to be at 0.

The water has to be the right temp for him because his immune system and metabolism depend upon it.

And you must have a working knowledge of how to take care of your filter so as to not loose your good bacteria.
Please feel free to ask if you have other ?s thats what we are here for [emoji41] im glad that rock was taken out and hes doin better

Excellent...

That company actually sells a kit that has all the tests and info in it.
Its called the API Freshwater Master Kit. Its about $30? But may be cheaper online too

Back
Top Bottom