Is my tank cycled? Is my betta healthy enough to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copplanes

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all! I'm new to this site, please treat me kindly.
My name is Katie. I've had my betta Thanksgiving for almost a year now. Over the course of last year, I've run into problem after problem with Thanksgiving. I've treated him and saved his life countless times. Now, a more seasoned fish owner, I've realized the importance of a cycled tank.
Thanksgiving is currently in a filtered, aerated 5 gal tank. I am working on cycling a 10 gal tank but have no idea when he will be fit to be added to it.
I'm using microb-lift special blend to cycle the 10gal, which is filtered, heated, and aerated, and it is currently on day 12. Attached are my currently Master Test kit readings. Is this tank able to take on my betta yet?
Attached is also pictures of Thanksgiving, whose current state has been worrying me. In addition to constant water changes, test kit readings, and careful feeding, I'm currently treating his fin rot with aquarium salt and stress coat. He's been hanging out at the bottom of the tank and generally more lethargic than normal. I had used Melafix with aquarium salt a couple weeks ago and saw amazing regrowth on his fins, but they've withered away to much worse than ever, so now I'm trying the salt with stress coat . I'm only guessing the degrading of his fins is due to his home being a small, uncycled tank.
Is he healthy enough to add to a fully cycled tank? Am I incorrectly treating fin rot when he has a different infection?
In the pictures you can see the red in all his fins, and the torn away edges. He looks better than he did a few days ago.
I love my betta and want many years with him. I'm hoping by making this account and talking to other fishie friends that I can get the answers I've been looking for. Being completely self educated and learning from experience has been trying!
Thank you in advance for responses :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 69
I don't see why it cannot be moved to the 10g. I believe the micro-lift will help get the cycle going if there is a food source for them (fish in the tank producing ammonia). With no fish in the 10g, in not sure the micro-lift is doing anything.
Would it be possible to move the fish AND existing filter from the 5g to the 10g tank?

Would it be possible to move the fish AND existing filter from the 5g to the 10g tank?

I was thinking the same thing initially, to bring all the bacteria over. But given that the 5 gal tank is infected it might contaminate the new tank.

Another option is to treat in the 5 gal with a stronger antibiotic such as Maracyn.

I don't see why it cannot be moved to the 10g. I believe the micro-lift will help get the cycle going if there is a food source for them (fish in the tank producing ammonia). With no fish in the 10g, in not sure the micro-lift is doing anything.

thanks for the reply!
the 5 gal is essentially a hospital tank at the moment. it has no bacteria on the filter, as it's all new and has been cleaned recently(due to all the illness i tend to have to do full aquarium cleanings every month or so in the 5 gal)

can you elaborate on the comment about the micro-lift? if i've been wasting my time with it i'll be pretty distraught!

Melafix is not good for labyrinth fish like bettas. It coats the labyrinth organ and can make it difficult to breathe.

thank you for letting me know, i'll definitely refrain from using it in the future

I was thinking the same thing initially, to bring all the bacteria over. But given that the 5 gal tank is infected it might contaminate the new tank.

Another option is to treat in the 5 gal with a stronger antibiotic such as Maracyn.

i have e.r. ethromycin, i tried treating him with it in the past and didn't see any change in fin health or blood spots :(

i have e.r. ethromycin, i tried treating him with it in the past and didn't see any change in fin health or blood spots :(
Sounds like you've put some great effort in to try and save this little guy.

There is a melafix for bettas which you can try since you mentioned that melafix helped.

can you elaborate on the comment about the micro-lift? if i've been wasting my time with it i'll be pretty distraught!

I'm pretty sure that the micro-lift product contains bacteria and possibly enzymes to breakdown the waste material found in tanks that have fish. They give the nitrogen cycle a jump start by assisting the development of the necessary bacteria. This is how most bacteria-in-a-bottle solutions work. In an unoccupied tank, there is no "food source". For cycling (both fish in or fish-less) to work you need a source of ammonia (either introduced or from the fish directly or solid fish waste which will break down into proteins and ammonia). The bacteria will either develop on their own over time or they can be introduced via a seasoned filter media or with a bacteria concentrate.

With respect to your cycle: how long has it been since you started cycling? What have you been using as an ammonia source? Have you seen a rise and fall in both your ammonia and nitrites?

Just based on your parameters, it looks like your tank is cycled unless you somehow got nitrates from something else you've been adding to the aquarium. I would check your pH using the high-range pH kit just to make sure that it isn't off the charts. Otherwise, it looks like you're good to go.

If your tank isn't cycled, you could always move Thanksgiving into the new tank and just be prepared to do frequent water changes until everything is cycled.

With respect to your cycle: how long has it been since you started cycling? What have you been using as an ammonia source? Have you seen a rise and fall in both your ammonia and nitrites?

Just based on your parameters, it looks like your tank is cycled unless you somehow got nitrates from something else you've been adding to the aquarium. I would check your pH using the high-range pH kit just to make sure that it isn't off the charts. Otherwise, it looks like you're good to go.

If your tank isn't cycled, you could always move Thanksgiving into the new tank and just be prepared to do frequent water changes until everything is cycled.

well, i guess i was heavily misinformed, and have been feeding bacteria to a tank with no ammonia supply. I'm probably going to move thanksgiving to the new tank and use him to cycle it. but i don't know entirely if he's healthy enough to withstand the process

I'm pretty sure that the micro-lift product contains bacteria and possibly enzymes to breakdown the waste material found in tanks that have fish. They give the nitrogen cycle a jump start by assisting the development of the necessary bacteria. This is how most bacteria-in-a-bottle solutions work. In an unoccupied tank, there is no "food source". For cycling (both fish in or fish-less) to work you need a source of ammonia (either introduced or from the fish directly or solid fish waste which will break down into proteins and ammonia). The bacteria will either develop on their own over time or they can be introduced via a seasoned filter media or with a bacteria concentrate.

wow, i've really been wasting my time [emoji24] thank you for letting me know so i can start a cycle now. is thanksgiving healthy enough to withstand a cycling tank?

Back
Top Bottom