Is my tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I added fish slowly since I thought I was successful with a fishless cycle. I had a fishless cycling tank for four weeks and the below fish for 3 weeks. Can anyone check my current numbers to verify my tank is fully cycled?

17 gallon Aqueon Collumn Tank
Aqueon 10 QuietFlow Filter
7 Harlequin Rasbora
3 Show German Guppies (?)
1Trapdoor Snail

.25 ppm amonia
0 ppm nitrates
0 ppm nitrites
6.5 ph
30 GH
40 Kh

The water began getting cloudy last week, so I borrowed a well used filter media from a friend's well established tank. Everything seems fine now.

I'd like to add 5 Cherry Shrimp to finialise my stock, but want to make sure I actually have a fully cycled tank.

Thanks for any help!

If your water was cloudy that's good that's the beginning of bacteria forming in your tank. Your numbers are good. Your is cycled. However that filter you have is only for a ten gallon tank if I'm not mistaken. I'd upgrade to a 20 gallon filter. So it can turn over your tank a few times an hour.

Good luck..

Thanks for the reply!

I, too, thought after I purchased the Aqueon package that the QuietFlow 10 was for a 10 gallon tank. Turns out it is rated up to 20 gallons. Still will probably upgrade down the line . . .

Thanks for the reply!

I, too, thought after I purchased the Aqueon package that the QuietFlow 10 was for a 10 gallon tank. Turns out it is rated up to 20 gallons. Still will probably upgrade down the line . . .

Coolio my dude

Actually you're not cycled yet. A cycled tank would show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrate. How did you "fishless cycle" the tank? Letting a tank run empty without adding an ammonia source doesn't cycle the tank, I'm afraid. What test kit are you using?

Actually you're not cycled yet. A cycled tank would show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrate. How did you "fishless cycle" the tank? Letting a tank run empty without adding an ammonia source doesn't cycle the tank, I'm afraid. What test kit are you using?

It's EXTREMELY hard to have a tank at .0 ammonia. .25 is not a dangerous level.

I agree as well. A cycled tank will reflect zero ammonia and nitrite. Nitrate levels can vary depending upon if the tank is planted or not. Some more information will help!

Thanks for all who have answered so far . . .

In answer to some questions, by "Fishless Cycle", I meant I (attempted) to cycle my tank without fish and using the prescribed pure ammonia method as advocated by many on this forum.

I recently received and use the API Master Kit to do my testing.

I have one small dwarf grass plant in my tank, but otherwise no other living plants.

Thanks for all who have answered so far . . .

In answer to some questions, by "Fishless Cycle", I meant I (attempted) to cycle my tank without fish and using the prescribed pure ammonia method as advocated by many on this forum.

I recently received and use the API Master Kit to do my testing.

I have one small dwarf grass plant in my tank, but otherwise no other living plants.

What do you mean "attempted?" :) Did you finish the fishless cycle?

Just to double-check results with the API kit, try this:
--for ammonia, test some distilled or spring water and compare it to an ammonia test for the tank. Sometimes it can be hard to gauge between 0 and .25 on the API kit. If the two tubes match then the tank has 0 ammonia. You can also try looking at the tube from underneath and use a good light source, sometimes that helps to tell whether it's gold or has some green in it
--For the nitrate test, shake and bang both bottles for 30 seconds (I bang them on my palm or a table a few times), add the drops from the first bottle to the tube, cap it then tip it a few times, then add the drops from the second nitrate bottle, then shake the tube vigorously for a full minute and wait 5 minutes for the result. The nitrate test can be finicky if not done right.

@LibraryGirl: By "attempt", I mean that I thought I had a cycled tank during the my previous fish-less cycle, but now I'm not so sure. Thank you for the tip on checking the ammonia level by testing spring water; it did indeed show that my ammonia level is .25

Good news today. My nitrates has risen to 5.0ppm, and my nitrites remains at 0ppm.

Back
Top Bottom