is my tank overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymit21

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am a relatively new aquarium owner and every time i ask advice at the lfs it just seems like they are trying to make a sale. i was thinking of getting a german blue ram just to add a little color and maybe a couple of hatchets too, but i am not sure if i have too many in there already and if i am pushing the compatibility factor, so here is what i have.....

55 gal FW

1 blue whale catfish (approx 4")
5 red eye tetras
4 black skirts
4 zebra danios
8 neons
3 clown loaches
3 zebra corys
3 panda corys
3 bronze?/green? corys
3 marbled? corys
1 common pleco (approx 4")

btw..i have an undergravel and a regular filter.

Also if anyone can recommend any LFS in the orlando area (just moved here) it would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment, no. Those clown loaches don't grow extremely fast, but they will eventually grow up to a foot, in which case you will be a bit overstocked.

I'd say your ok to add a couple rams and some hatchets. Then your tank should be about set. You think?

I'd say your ok to add a couple rams and some hatchets. Then your tank should be about set. You think?

any suggestions as to what i should add to the tank or the number of type of fish (ie: have 3 clown loaches..should there be 4-5 to make them happy :?: ) If i go with the ram someone else told me that they fight with each other......should i only get 1? or are they solitary. I know that hatchets like to school. :)

Clown loaches like to be in groups of three or more, for your tank, I keep it at 3. The common pleco can easily reach a foot in length, so be prepared.
I have two male Bolivian rams in with my community fish and they ignore each other. There is lots of cover in my tank, which probably helps. From what I have read, German Rams are more demanding on their water quality. Double check their needs to your current water parameters.
I have never owned hatchets, but if they like to school, get at least three. Keep up with regular water changes and all should be fine. Good luck :D

Back
Top Bottom