Is there a way to keep the fish from not dying of ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10galbuzz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a brand new 10 gallon aquarium and didn't cycle it before putting fish in because I am new and didn't know about it. I had 4 red fun tetra two of them died along with my sucker fish so I replaced them. Now another red fin tetra died. Is there a way to keep the fish from not dying of ammonia? Or a way to cycle the tank very fast?

Welcome to AA glad you found us here :) there are some good articles on here that'll explain and guide you through the cycling process. Long story short though is you'll need to do many large and frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites at non lethal/damaging levels.

I don't believe in the bottled bacteria since most of it sits on a shelf so long that not much bacteria could actually survive but that's not to say they are all a gimmick. Your best bet would be to either find someone that has an established tank or ask your local fish/pet store to give you some seeded material (like used filter pads or a bag of used substrate).

I've cycle a tank with tetra safe start before. Just make sure of the date, and it was always refrigerated where I got mine.

I got a brand new 10 gallon aquarium and didn't cycle it before putting fish in because I am new and didn't know about it. I had 4 red fun tetra two of them died along with my sucker fish so I replaced them. Now another red fin tetra died. Is there a way to keep the fish from not dying of ammonia? Or a way to cycle the tank very fast?

When you say a sucker fish what do you mean? Is it a pleco? If so you seriously need to re home it or try and return it or find a store that will take it.

Yes it is a pleco and it is only about 2 inches but unfortunately died.. Why would you recommend returning it because I was thinking of getting another one and are they sensitive to ammonia because that's the second one that's died

There are also supplements that detoxify the ammonia and nitrites until the bacteria cycles them out there is one called AMMO LOCK by API and another one called PRIME I believe made by Seachem

Yep prime does. In my opinion it's the Best product. I use this with every water change.

Yes it is a pleco and it is only about 2 inches but unfortunately died.. Why would you recommend returning it because I was thinking of getting another one and are they sensitive to ammonia because that's the second one that's died

It may be 2 inches now... but once their fully grown they get to be close to 2 feet. They need a huge tank, like atleast 100g. They do not belong in a 10g period. They also have a huge bioload. Their not sensitive to ammonia, it would create so much ammonia and considering the ammonia the other fish produce it will kill them, ammonia is toxic to fish at levels over .25ppm. This is why you research a fish before buying.

Yep prime does. In my opinion it's the Best product. I use this with every water change.

BUT prime only temporarily detoxifies it, its not a permanent solution. You can depend on prime to solely get rid of ammonia. The only permanent solution is to properly cycle the tank.

Also your going to need your own test kit to know when to do water changes. Don't bother with strips, they are highly inaccurate, API master freshwater is recommended and used by many here.

Back
Top Bottom