Is there something wrong with my tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazztalker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've noticed while my convict tang is swimming around, every once in a while, his entire body will "twitch". I've noticed he's starting to do it a little more often lately. Its not really anything playful or whatever. Any idea if something is wrong with him?

there should only be something wrong if he rubs himself on the sand or the rocks. If not , its not a parasitic infection. All fish have problems like us, digestive aches, tiredness, anxiety. It may any one of those. My tank usually does it when he is in a space in the rock and he cant find a way out.

Ok, I'll keep an eye on him. I did notice this morning a spot on him where it looks like he might have brushed the rock and it caused a little discoloration on him. Thanks!

No, I don't think so. I had my hand in the water just now and didn't feel anything. I've also noticed that he has a few areas on him that don't look right. You know how when you touch a butterfly or a moth that kind of has that powder coating on it and it smudges? Well, weird as it might sound, that's what my tang looks like in a few spots. Also, I was gone most of the afternoon and evening. When I left he seemed fine, but when I came back I noticed a few of those spots and it also seemed like he was having trouble seeing. He was in a corner of my tank that he's in all the time and he couldn't seem to figure out how to get out of there. I also noticed him bumping into the glass a little, he's never done that before. He also seems like he's not as bright colored as before. He has always been kind of a white/silver with beautiful dark stripes, and I know sometimes he would change color a little when he was scared, but his stripes aren't nearly as dark anymore. Any idea what's wrong? :?

I just had my water checked the other day at my LFS. They do it for free, and told me since I only have LR and a few fish I don't have to do all that testing on my own. I don't feed him anything else right now. He's had a lot of brown algae to eat off my LR, but that's starting to disappear. The only other food I have is some spirulina that I feed my damsels twice a day.

What should I be feeding him? Can you give me a link so I know what I should get, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Feed him a varied diet, brine or mysdid(sp) shrimp, flake foods, sea weed or Nori from the super market. Sushi wrap/nori will work fine, feeding lettuce is not suggested because it has no real nutritional value for the fish.

Awesome, thanks!!! With the Seaweed selects, or any of those types of foods, is there any difference between red algae, green and brown?

just the type of algae that is incorporated. I use green algae. I dont think that there are any species specifics with what type of algae to get. With my regal tang, i use green.

Back
Top Bottom