Is this a bristle worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jschier

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found this guy in a cave in my LR yesterday, could it be responsible for the untimely demise of my fire shrimp? He's about 3-4 inches.

image-1658075454.jpg

Yes, it is. That depends, do you feed the shrimp? If not, they just died of starvation. Did you ever find the body of the shrimp? If not, the worm ate them

I feed the shrimp, found the carcass. How can I get rid of this guy?

Why would you want to get rid of it? They are free members for your clean up crew. I have yet to see a bristleworm kill anything, however, they will eat something once it has died. All too often they are considered the culprit when something ends up dead, but I have yet to hear a story of a bristleworm attacking a healthy fish or invertebrate. Just my opinion though.

I couldn't decifer if he was 100% safe in my tank, he also gave the wife the heeby jeebys, I managed to catch him by hand, he was 8 inches long. Funny, everything in the tank seems happier and more adventurous. I'm just fine with my snails as a cuc.

If you have one, you have more. Their populations depend entirely on the available food. Cut back on feeding a little and you won't see them, or at least you won't see giant ones.

I'm surprised you didn't get stung if you grabbed it by hand. I agree with what was said they don't kill they just eat decaying or dead matter. Good things to have. Keep the feeding in check and they won't over populate. Worms are our friends. :)

I'm surprised you didn't get stung if you grabbed it by hand. I agree with what was said they don't kill they just eat decaying or dead matter. Good things to have. Keep the feeding in check and they won't over populate. Worms are our friends. :)

Hopefully you didn't grab it by hand. I got stung by one moving my bubble coral....not fun!!

Back
Top Bottom