Is this algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessybehr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know what this is? I have these little spots on the sides of my tank I only noticed them yesterday and I decent sized pleco in the tank. ??????

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1403284531592.jpg
    1403284531592.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 121
Looks like fish flakes to me. When you knock it off, how does it come off? Does it come off in sheets the size of a thumbnail? Do you have to chisel it off?

Small, bright green spots you have to chisel off is spot algae. Your pleco should appreciate a hit of it.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

What I'm seeing doesn't look like green spot algae. For now just clean it off. If it doesn't come back, problem solved.

Yah it's not flakes...it's slimy I'm going to clean it off and what happens orrr should i see if my pleco will tend to it?

If it's slimy, it's cyanobacteria. Your pleco won't touch it. You'll have to go with erythromycin (I think I spelled that right) to kill it. Otherwise it will turn everything in the tank green.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Pretty sure I had some of that. Amano shrimp tackled it nicely.

Cyano may take over a tank.

If the tank is otherwise clean and the cyano is removed by hand and water changes it may not. Yes erythromycin will kill it but has other side effects. Study up on cyano aka blue green algae, it's causes and cures. Google is your friend as is searching this forum.

I'm not certain from the pictures that it is cyano. Adding an antibiotic that is not needed may cause more problems than it cures.

I cleaned it by hand and will do a water change later

I can't get a good image of what you're looking at on my phone but it doesn't necessarily have to be cyanobacteria to have a slimy feel. I'll take a look when I get to a pc.

Cyanobacteria

I'm not saying you have cyano, but here's an article to get you started learning about it. I think section c may help you identify it or eliminate it as a current possibility.

It doesn't look like cyanobacteria honestly. Cyanobacteria needs a pigmentation to absorb sunlight and that appears to be fairly clear to me. It does look like a type of biofilm though which would be similar to a cyanobacteria.

How long has your tank been set up? What are your parameters?

No those spots are on the Inside of the glass

Back
Top Bottom