Is this ammonia ok for fishless cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quick answer, NO
Question
What are the ingredients in this product?

Is it just water and ammonia?
asked 1 month, 2 weeks ago By
nokittymypotpi3

on Great Value: Ammonia, 64 Oz
1 answer
Answers

answer 1
The ingredients are water, ammonia, tetrasodium edta (chelating agent), and surfectant (proprietary information).

This is from the walmart website. From that answer they gave, this is bad for aquariums, you don't want any surfectant, and probably don't want the chelating agent either.

You're in the US? I've heard Ace hardware sells "pure" ammonia. I'm in Canada, I ended up going to a large janitorial store and picked up ammonia there.

I got mine at ace. Just make sure that when you shake it it won't create bubbles.

Just to clarify, any liquid with surface tension will form bubbles, but they should disappear within a second or two. If bubbles or foam remain on the surface for more then a second or two after giving the liquid a vigorous shaking, it's a sign of added surfactant that will kill your fish.

Deep Seven said:
Just to clarify, any liquid with surface tension will form bubbles, but they should disappear within a second or two. If bubbles or foam remain on the surface for more then a second or two after giving the liquid a vigorous shaking, it's a sign of added surfactant that will kill your fish.

I forgot to mention that it will form bubbles but will pop right away. Thanks deep seven.

Tomorrow I'm planning on running out to Ace hardware and buy the pure ammonia they sell. I have a 55 gallon tank cycling and it's taking forever and the 50% water changes is taking it's toll on me lol tomorrow I'm going to move my fish to a smaller tank until the 55 gallon is cycled. My question is how much of the ammonia should I add to start and from there on daily?

Back
Top Bottom