Is this "hair algae"? (Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If this is hair algae, how does one best control it? TIA

Attachments

• photo001_175.jpg
    photo001_175.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 76
  • photo002_548.jpg
    photo002_548.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 119
regular water changes with r/o water if possible, an a kole tang likes it. ive also noticed that when i didnt have a light schedule(sometimes i would forget to cut them off...)my hair algae was getting outta control. ever sence i finally got a job i cut them off when i went to sleep and turn them on when i got up.i think it plays a key part in the production of some alages...but maybe not and im just wasting your time...lol :D

Go to LiveAquaria.com and check out the snails. I forget which one it is, but one of those type of snails will help to keep it under control...Maybe a turbo snail?

Well, my water changes are very regular and I only use RO for top off and purchase a good mix from a reliable lfs. My light are timed for 14 hours total. seven hours in the middle are with MH's. Three, or so, hours before/after are with 60 watts NO actinics.

Still with the hair algae? What to do?

Try and do your topoffs with RO/DI and not just RO. This might help.

Also I've heard u can get up to a snail for every 2 gallons of water. So I'd get about 20 more if I were you. I have about 25 in my 55gal.

Good luck :lol:

my tanks starting to grow the same stuff (i think!) - looks like it in the pic but is it in patches of bright green & dark purple ?!

zilla870 thanks! It looks more like the red graci, but I'm not sure. Anyhow my tang really didn't eat any of it so I'll try more snails.

no problem, i saw your post by accident and said i have seen aglae like that b4. Your Welcome. i am FW and i still can help SW at times.

Back
Top Bottom