Is this hair algae !?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JavaMoss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have look at attached pictures and has my tank got hair algae or of not what is it. Please help, many thanks

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110705_070934.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110705_070934.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20110705_070947.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110705_070947.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 116
There are many ways.

You can buy algae-removing chemicals and kill them. I wouldn't recommend that route though because it disturbs your system and might kill other things as well.

You can dip affected plants in a 3% Chlorine-Solution to Clean the individual leaves.

The more natural ways:

Get Algae-eating fish.

What I would recommend is find the source and eliminate that. You might have your light on for too long? Your System isn't fully established yet. Or you need to get into a more regular water changing schedule. An other reason could be insufficient filtration.

Without knowing your tank and how you treat it it is very hard to diagnose what causes algae growth.

Just bear in mind that almost every fish tank, fresh or salt water will have algae to some degree.

I used to keep my aquarium light on for 15 hours a day :O until I realised its only supposed to be on for 8-12. The tank is newly setup and it was exdisplay so I'm assuming its the fact its newly setup and the bulb is not penetrating properly. So I will look into it. Also I have an under gravel filter so the water isn't actually passing through any "sponge" media. So new light, internal filter ( eBay ftw) and regular water changes. And ill update soon

JavaMoss

I'm not an expert on heavily planted tanks but I would generally change 15-20% weekly. Use a gravel vacuum and your filter should be fine. Make sure you use proper water conditioner to de-chlorinate the water.

For proper plant growth you need special lighting, if you don't want algae I wouldn't put them on more than 8 hours per day though. Also direct sunlight will cause an algae bloom for sure.

JavaMoss said:
I used to keep my aquarium light on for 15 hours a day :O until I realised its only supposed to be on for 8-12. The tank is newly setup and it was exdisplay so I'm assuming its the fact its newly setup and the bulb is not penetrating properly. So I will look into it. Also I have an under gravel filter so the water isn't actually passing through any "sponge" media. So new light, internal filter ( eBay ftw) and regular water changes. And ill update soon

JavaMoss

I found that if u do split photosynthesis helps to cut down algae Alot! What kinda plants do u have and what ur lights specs? I have medium-high to low light plants and I do 4 on 4 off 4 on! I have hardly any algae now! :)

Back
Top Bottom