Is this ich? I'm afraid of the answer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How are the fish doing? Showing more signs? Or starting to settle a bit?

I haven't been home since 5am. I left salt in a cup of tank water and my mother in law lol is pouring it in throughout the day until I get home. Lights come on at 3:30 about the time I get home so....

I'll post back when I get home!

I don't like ich lol. I'm gonna get shirts made up!!

I haven't been home since 5am. I left salt in a cup of tank water and my mother in law lol is pouring it in throughout the day until I get home. Lights come on at 3:30 about the time I get home so....

I'll post back when I get home!

I don't like ich lol. I'm gonna get shirts made up!!

Hopefully she doesn't forget (if she's anything like my mil) I don't know anyone who likes ich, you could make a killing on sales!!

I am dealing with this as well. I am on day 14 with salt and heat. Don't forget, salt doesn't evaporate, once you are up to 5 t a gallon, only add salt for water you are replacing. I only lost a farlowella cat to the salt, all my other cichs and plecos are doing great. Just making sure we don't get reinfested at this point. Gravel vac and more air are the key in my experience with this method. Good luck!!!

I am dealing with this as well. I am on day 14 with salt and heat. Don't forget, salt doesn't evaporate, once you are up to 5 t a gallon, only add salt for water you are replacing. I only lost a farlowella cat to the salt, all my other cichs and plecos are doing great. Just making sure we don't get reinfested at this point. Gravel vac and more air are the key in my experience with this method. Good luck!!!

Yeah doing all that. I'm hoping the loaches can withstand the salt. Your 9 days ahead of me so I got a battle ahead I guess.

I'm just overly cautious. Haven't seen any signs for over a week, but I don't want to quit before the life cycle is done.

I'm just overly cautious. Haven't seen any signs for over a week, but I don't want to quit before the life cycle is done.

That raises a question that has plagued me since the beginning of this whole thing. How do you REALLY know its over? Can't it NOT me on the fish BUT on decor or substrate etc. you go back to normal and BAM!!!

Another ich outbreak!! So how can you be sure? Ok the fish have no spots but.... I've read where it says if there are no spots after 3 days of the last treatment day so say you treat for 14 days. No white spots on day 17 you can resume normal?

What if the ich hasn't fully developed yet? And then it manifests itself after returning to normal. Then you have a new outbreak.

I'm not fully understanding how you come to the conclusion it's over and you've won the battle.

The parasite can only survive so long without a host. I believe a week was the average of what was recommended over multiple sources to continue treatment after you see the last spot.

I wouldn't count total days of treatment though, because the length of time for that last spot to drop off can vary. And some strains are more resistant than others.

Edit: interesting, this article says they die within 24 hours if there is no new host.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/ich.aspx

I part of the thinking for raising the temp is to speed up their life cycle, which in turn causes them to get to the reproductive stage faster (whichever that is lol). With the higher temp they should eventually all hatch and then die off without ever being able to reproduce. Kind of like sterilizing the living ones, they're still alive but not reproducing. But like it was said it might take longer than a few days which is why most treatments say a couple of weeks.

The parasite can only survive so long without a host. I believe a week was the average of what was recommended over multiple sources to continue treatment after you see the last spot.

I wouldn't count total days of treatment though, because the length of time for that last spot to drop off can vary. And some strains are more resistant than others.

Edit: interesting, this article says they die within 24 hours if there is no new host.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/ich.aspx

Interesting article, thank you for the link

I part of the thinking for raising the temp is to speed up their life cycle, which in turn causes them to get to the reproductive stage faster (whichever that is lol). With the higher temp they should eventually all hatch and then die off without ever being able to reproduce. Kind of like sterilizing the living ones, they're still alive but not reproducing. But like it was said it might take longer than a few days which is why most treatments say a couple of weeks.

I hear ya, I just want it to be over. I swear now I don't feel good lol.

I have the same concern. That is why I am still at a high temp with about 1 t of salt per gallon even though I haven't seen a spot in over a week. (but i caught it early. maybe 5 spots a piece on 3 fish) I couldn't get my temp up past 84, so I don't know how much that speeds the life cycle up. Hence the better safe than sorry approach I am taking. Just don't want to go back to square one. All my fish look healthy and happy, so the temp and salt aren't affecting them negatively. I am going to start the return to normal tomorrow. I may have started that earlier if I thought my fish were under duress. My farlowella cat had no spots and I am sure it was the salt that got him in the end, but my emperor pleco and my BN seem more active if anything, they all do. I guess that is because of the temp increase. Any idea?

My fish ate swimming and eating and acting hungry every time I walk by. Spots on a few fish but other then that everything looks normal. Some have even gotten better with no spots but looks like what could be scars?

Again I'm early in the treatment stage but I will continue to treat and do water changes. Temp is steady at 86.5

My fish ate swimming and eating and acting hungry every time I walk by. Spots on a few fish but other then that everything looks normal. Some have even gotten better with no spots but looks like what could be scars?

Again I'm early in the treatment stage but I will continue to treat and do water changes. Temp is steady at 86.5

Hope it keeps getting better for u Convict

My understanding is that the parasite can leave holes behind when they fall off, where they had burrowed in. This is the cause of concern for secondary infections. In that case, sustaining high temps can breed bacterial infections. It really is a nightmare. Hope it all works out for us both. If they seem happy and active then I say treat longer than you think needed. You sound like an over-worrier and a perfectionist like me. lol Unfortunately, these higher temps are causing me a bacterial bloom, hate having cloudy water. I guess I should be thankful it is clearing up and now my problem is just getting my clarity back.

My understanding is that the parasite can leave holes behind when they fall off, where they had burrowed in. This is the cause of concern for secondary infections. In that case, sustaining high temps can breed bacterial infections. It really is a nightmare. Hope it all works out for us both. If they seem happy and active then I say treat longer than you think needed. You sound like an over-worrier and a perfectionist like me. lol Unfortunately, these higher temps are causing me a bacterial bloom, hate having cloudy water. I guess I should be thankful it is clearing up and now my problem is just getting my clarity back.

Yup you got it! A over-worrier and a major perfectionist!!

And yes I can see the marks or sores ich has left behind. Hoping it doesn't start anything else.

Got home and checked the tank. No new spots on any fish and I looked HARD. Just the 2 clown loaches and 1 Mbuna at the moment. All are swimming and eating. Temp is 85.5, I did the salt thing.

I guess just keep going. Another 50% water change tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom