Is this popeye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok that makes sense, although my main tank is actually bare bottom and pretty clean. The plants are in pots, but I get your point.

The first round of treatment is finished, so either today or tomorrow I will start with the new esha (depending when I receive it).

Changing the water every day is something I feel should be done while treating, but assumed you couldn't as none of the instructions say you can.
The instructions for interpet said dose on day 1, then again on day 4 then on day 7 do a water change! Felt like a long wait for wc, but I did it anyway.

Ok that makes sense, although my main tank is actually bare bottom and pretty clean. The plants are in pots, but I get your point.

The first round of treatment is finished, so either today or tomorrow I will start with the new esha (depending when I receive it).

Changing the water every day is something I feel should be done while treating, but assumed you couldn't as none of the instructions say you can.
The instructions for interpet said dose on day 1, then again on day 4 then on day 7 do a water change! Felt like a long wait for wc, but I did it anyway.

If your plants are in pots, could you move them to another tank or even a bucket until the treatment is finished? The drugs will work better in a tank without the plants.

Yes, it's a strange setup - it's kinda temporary until i can get the big tank set up.

Anyways, I will use the 30litre (10US gal ish) tank to QT and treat the fish. I think thats best, rather disturb everything else.

Still no treatment! It HAS to arrive tomorrow. Meanwhile, fish is still just hanging on in there. I'll give them another little 15-20% water change tonight, just to keep that water extra clean and fresh.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I do too, i normally do 50% at least once a week.

I did 50% Tues, 20% Wed, 20% today. I thought this would be a good idea since finishing the last treatment.

Couple of questions.

-Will driftwood decrease the effectiveness of the treatment if i have some in the QT tank? My main tank is plants and driftwood only - i dont have any inert decor to put in as cover for the fish in QT tank. I really dont think this angel will like a bare tank.

-The Esha 2000 instuctions say you add treatment for 3 days
i.e day 1 - 25 drops
day 2 - 12 drops
day 3 - 12 drops
no water changes.

You suggest i do daily water changes and compensate treatment loss with more treatment, how will that work here?

Thanks,
Dave.

Barebottom means no plants or wood. Angels don't need anything to hid when in QT. Pleco's and cories need a tube or a cave in QT.

Wood is covered with organics - that's why is kindof slimy when you take it out of the water.

I would do a full 25 drop treatment with a 50% water change in the QT every day if your QT is 10G or more.

For the main tank, I would change 25% a day for the next week to ensure that the water is pristine.

So in other words ignore the instructions on the packet!? Im completely fine with that if thats what will work!
I do feel it's necessary to do daily water changes, just makes sense.
Thanks.

Yes redose fresh every day since you are changing the water everyday. Imagine the ammonia levels in the QT tank after 3 days without changing the water.

Even in a main tank, with high organics, the drugs would not work well without a water change. Antibiotics can also kill off good bacteria causing an ammonia spike.

Right, today I setup the qt tank with 50/50 fresh and main tank water. The qt tank holds 30litres, so the dose of esha 2000 works out at 8 drops. I added the drops and transferred the fish.

The instructions suggest a dose of 4 more drops on days 2 and 3 (with no water change), but we are saying add another 8 drops on days 2 and 3 after performing a 50% water change, correct?

I hope this works.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Yes, redose after performing a 50% water change with aged water (tap water left overnight with a bubbler and heater for days 2 and 3. If they still show signs of illness, extend the duration of treatment another 2 days.

Ok so I've done the first 50% water change and re-dose. I don't have a third air pump and heater to be able to age the water, so had to go with standard method (straight from the tap).
I can't tell if the fish is much better yet, but it's certainly no worse.

The main symptom of illness is it's bulging eyes, am I right in thinking this could take weeks to return to normal, or possibly may never return to normal?

Ok, can you explain why the water needs to be aged? Normal water changes are done with water straight from the tap- it's what the fish is used to. I am obviously adding water conditioner and matching the temp in the tank before adding.

I don't have a spare heater but if its that important I can pick one up.

Just to update, the current symptoms are:
- bulging eyes
-constant mouth + gill movement
-eating, but not much

Aging water dissipates the C02 that's in the water. Think soda pop. It's very irritating for fish. You may notice that after a waterchange there are microbubbles on the fishes' body and their slimecoat starts drip off their body. When fish are already not feeling well, C02 just stresses them further.

Additionally, when the C02 is gassed off, the PH changes from low to high. So during a waterchange with unaged water, you are adding water that is of a lower PH than the current water, again causing stress to the fish.

Ok, thanks for explaining that! I was trying to think of what it could be that causes stress but that makes perfect sense. I should have realised!

Since I don't have a spare heater or air pump yet, I aged the water in a bucket since yesterday, then heated it up with the heater from my main tank (the temp barely dropped in the main tank before the aged water was up to temp) before adding to the qt tank. Not great, but better than not ageing at all.

The fish doesn't seem as keen on food today, barely ate a thing.

His color looks good at least. Let's hope his appetite returns at the end of the treatment. You can encourage him to eat by putting some frozen brine shrimp. It can make the tank messy so feed just before a water change.

Ok so that's the third dose of treatment and 50% water change complete.

Still no appetite, will try brine shrimp tomorrow.

I would say that the fishes eyes look like they may have improved. Only slightly, but i noticed that the white ring where the eye meets the head has gone now on both sides. They also dont seem to be protruding quite so much.

It sometimes looks like it's tail fin is shaking? Strange, doesn't do it all the time, just every now and then.
Still swimming about quite freely. Doesn't seem distressed.

Should I carry on with the treatment for a few more days?

Back
Top Bottom