Is this possible or a myth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Then:
I have a 55g that I did a fish in cycle. The fish were 6 tiger barbs, 1 red tail shrak, 3 gourami's and 1 rubberlip pleco. For filters, I have a marineland penguin 330 with 2 biowheels and a Regent rated for 55g. Temp stays around 74-76. Pwc is normally 50% weekly but right now I am desperate to get the ugly tannins out (makes tank look so nasty and hogging light from plants). My test results were always ph 7.4, ammo 0, trites 0, and trates 5.

In between:
Now I was told those fish gave a decent bio-load. Those fish no longer are homed in that tank (moved them to another tank). Before adding different fish in this tank I added organic soil and capped with the original pool filter sand it had plus low-tech plants such as wisteria, sprite, etc. I do not use any fertilizers. Lights are (2) T8 32 watts and they are on about 8-9 hours.

Now:
So, I've placed 3 long-finned black skirt tetras, 1 long-finned rosy barb, 2 regular rosy barbs, 4 ghost shrimps, 4 julii cory catfish, and recently added 2 bristlenose plecos due to a gross diatom bloom. I been testing regularly (due to soil addition) watching for any spikes but my readings have been ph 7.4, ammo 0, trites 0, trates 0. I am not on my pwc schedule due to the tannins. I do about 50% PWC every 2 days until my purigen in a bag gets here next week.

It was mentioned to me that it is normal and a tank can go from little trates to 0 when the bioload goes from a medium/large to small, added plants, and alot of filtration, is this possible?

If not, I am going to go crazy trying to understand where they went. All the fish are having a blast as if nothing is wrong with the h2o quality to the point the rosy barbs are spawning every other day or so and ghost shrimps are molting, bn's getting those nasty diatoms really good, etc.... my plants are having growth...IDK

It is possible to have 0 nitrates, don't worry about it. I would suspect that because of the additional water changes & additional plants you're already low nitrates of 5 were lowered even more. You don't have to have nitrates. My nitrates barely register when I test my water, not quite zero but not quite 5.

Okay, same here...test looks like it could be 1 or 2 so I just say 0 since its more yellow than orange...

With that water change schedule, added plants, and reduced bioload, 0 nitrates is very likely. However, with live plants it is not really a good thing to have 0 nitrates, as this can cause nitrate deficiency. You don't need the nitrates very high, just constantly over 0 and you should be fine.

And, just for future reference, diatoms in your tank does not mean you need an algae eater. They normally occur in somewhat new tanks, and they will go away on their own after a couple months granted that there are not high nitrates.

You really need nitrates and phosphates in a planted tank or your plants will eventually begin to show signs of a macro deficiencies. I know you have to do the WC's to reduce tanins but you need to watch your plants and once you get your purgin in you can go back to a once a week WC.

I have to disagree not all planted tanks can do fine at 1-2ppm of nitrates. There are also alot of factors that attribute to how much each individual tank needs in both nitrates and phosphates. Perhaps your tanks plants do fine at that level but it doesn't mean anothers will. And yes Bud a consistant reading of 1-2ppm is fine if you know for sure that level really is consistant for your tank which would indicate your plants are using very little nitrates. But another thing is BGA is also believed to be attributed to low levels of nitrates. 0 nitrates are definitely a bad thing in planted tanks but if there is only 1-2ppms of nitrate and the plants need more then there will eventually be a nutrient deficiency. Each individual needs to determine how much the plants in their tank needs.

I have to disagree not all planted tanks can do fine at 1-2ppm of nitrates. There are also alot of factors that attribute to how much each individual tank needs in both nitrates and phosphates. Perhaps your tanks plants do fine at that level but it doesn't mean anothers will. And yes Bud a consistant reading of 1-2ppm is fine if you know for sure that level really is consistant for your tank which would indicate your plants are using very little nitrates. But another thing is BGA is also believed to be attributed to low levels of nitrates. 0 nitrates are definitely a bad thing in planted tanks but if there is only 1-2ppms of nitrate and the plants need more then there will eventually be a nutrient deficiency. Each individual needs to determine how much the plants in their tank needs.

Good enough for me. Off to ponder ferts.

With that water change schedule, added plants, and reduced bioload, 0 nitrates is very likely. However, with live plants it is not really a good thing to have 0 nitrates, as this can cause nitrate deficiency. You don't need the nitrates very high, just constantly over 0 and you should be fine.

And, just for future reference, diatoms in your tank does not mean you need an algae eater. They normally occur in somewhat new tanks, and they will go away on their own after a couple months granted that there are not high nitrates.

Just wanted to let you know that I was informed of not "needing" algae eaters for diatoms....BUT I mentioned I "wanted" BN's anyway; therefore, diatoms did prompt me to go to my lfs which I am so glad it did...got the best deal ever $1 for each of them...and it is a 55g so having them is not an issue anyways...BUT thank you for awaring me of it just IN CASE if I did not already know.....sweet of yah....thanks again....

Well thanks to all who have replied whether you agree/disagree with one anothers opinion. I do prefer to see some trates and definitely more than 1-2 like I been seeing....if it is ok I will get over it in time IF not I will be taking the time out to correct the problem..soon...very soon.....

I read through replies.. And one thing I noticed no one commented on was the long fin rosy barb... My LFS had these beauty's and I nearly bought them until I did research, they are a schooling fish that needs to be in a group of atleast 4 (and this is the bare bare minimum), they need atleast 5 to be comfortable (they do better in groups larger than 5) because they get stressed out very easily if they aren't with their own kind.

I read through replies.. And one thing I noticed no one commented on was the long fin rosy barb... My LFS had these beauty's and I nearly bought them until I did research, they are a schooling fish that needs to be in a group of atleast 4 (and this is the bare bare minimum), they need atleast 5 to be comfortable (they do better in groups larger than 5) because they get stressed out very easily if they aren't with their own kind.

My fish are doing great...they aren't my issue I guess they are comfortable they don't show schooling behavior at all but they show shoaling behaviors...but I added another with no difference in the behaviors....anywho my purgien came so I hope it does what it says

Back
Top Bottom