It seems I have messed up completely.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marconis said:
Oh, one more thing that I just thought of. Since you said the filter needs to be running to create water agitation, won't the bio-wheel just become contaminated if that soap comes up while Im testing something?

Don't put in your bio wheel until the end. It's new right... so you don't need to test it. And you definitely don't need to risk contaminating it. Same with all your new filter media. Just let the water pour through.

In that case, if you boil it, then you can do it's own test in the tank and run water through it to verify it's good.

Marconis - I'm rooting for ya ! And YES, I'd like to hear your progress also. As NeonJulie said - you haven't failed - we all make mistakes. The more you post the more others will learn from you.

I think all of us who recommend fishless cycling have also learned to be very specific about ammonia additives and to specifically call that out in our responses - so I thank both you and NeonJulie for that.

BEST TO YOU !!!

Thanks for that. I have just filled up my tank, placed the first large rock in and Im waiting for the water to adjust to room temperature.

Now, about the filter, isn't it bad to have it going with no filter cartridge or wheel in it?

I don't think so, you won't get any filtration, but I don't think it'll harm anything - the experts will chime in if I'm wrong. You're just trying to get the agitation from it. If you have any bubblers in the tank, thatll help too. Just trying to keep the water mixing up so you can see if any bubbles appear.

BTW, my hat's off to ya. Very impressive to see someone of your age tackling this in the way that you have. You should be proud.

neilanh said:
BTW, my hat's off to ya. Very impressive to see someone of your age tackling this in the way that you have. You should be proud.

Indeed!

I think that neilanh is correct about the filter at this time. Get your tank rid of the "soap" first. You can add your media after that.

The media provides important place for bacteria to form, and that is necessary for your biological filter. But that will come with a little time.

Mine didn't have any problems circulating water without any media. It just pours through. You can put bubblers in there as well, but once again, if something does go in the test and becomes contaminated, it's another to have to wash again.

We're all rooting for you! It's not failure, if you learn from your mistake and you fix it, and especially not if you can keep others (by way of example) from making the same oops. IMO, and what I tell myself. *lol* (And especially since like I said, there's very good chance your fish will NEVER know or will have ever suffered in your new tank.)

neilanh said:

Thanks :) . All my friends think I am weird for wanting a fish tank, but Ive wanted one since I was about 12. All I want is the best environment for my fish.

Thank you again, everyone, for all your help.

~~~~Alright...Filter is running, rock is in. There are a lot of tiny bubbles in my water and along the rock and filter intake, as well as the glass. This is just because of the tap water, right ? :oops: :? There is no sign of soapy residue on the surface, yet.

Yes, the little bubbles are most likely from your tap water. You'll see the soapy stuff on the surface of the water if its still there but I have a feeling you've done a good job of cleaning everything

I bought new gravel, new bio wheel, and new plants. I tested the big rock for at least 8 hours...no soap. Then I tested the smaller rock for at least 3 hours, no soap. Im still scared to put in my new stuff though!

Patience here will ensure success later. Make sure you have as much aeration/mixing of the water as you can, and if it were me I'd let it sit overnight and check it tomorrow. If there's still no soap tomorrow, I think it's safe to say you got it all, and to start rebuilding. If you have anything else from the soaped tank to add, I'd go ahead and add it now and let it sit tonight as well. If not, I don't see why you can't finish adding the new stuff tomorrow and start your cycle over.

I woke up this morning, and my whole stomach just dropped to the floor. Is it soap? I am unsure, unless bubbles always have colorful reflections in light..

Im no 100% sure if it's soap though. But I still have this horrible feeling that it is. If anything, it has to be the rocks. New gravel, plants, I cleaned the heater up and down with water, same with thermometer, and it's a new bio-wheel. Is there a place that I can bring my water and they can see if it's soap? The only place that looks like soap is around the filter intake, and that's it.

Was the tank all put together with the new and old items? Sorry about that. You know I'm with you right here. (I'm grieving myself today.)

You should have bubbles from the aeration, so make sure they are soapy. I don't know how to really test for that. The rainbow can be caused by water alone, so don't just assume there's soap. But I'm sure someone on here knows a good way to determine that. If you dip your hand, do you feel a slimy-like film in the water?

I don't feel much of a slimy-like film, I dipped my hand in a bucket of warm water to see what the difference was and they both sort of felt the same. I am going to give it a day or two to just circulate, and then I'll see what happens.

If I'm not mistaken, protein can cause a bit of foam/bubbles too. I'm not sure where the protein would come from in your tank, but I suppose it is a possibility.

This may sound crazy, but I think soap would taste like soap.

SparKy697 said:
This may sound crazy, but I think soap would taste like soap.

You know I typed something similiar to that, that if it were me I'd taste it. But, since I think we're assuming his foam is actually coming from the surfactants in the solution he used, I wasn't sure if that was the same thing or not.

Back
Top Bottom