I've made ALL the mistakes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
did you read my earlier posts..about my 29 gallon springing a leak? And it was doing so WELL, too. Any advice for me as I do this the second time around? huma huma has been pretty helpful!

Territoons said:
did you read my earlier posts..about my 29 gallon springing a leak? And it was doing so WELL, too. Any advice for me as I do this the second time around? huma huma has been pretty helpful!

Yeah, that drags big time! Are you watching the Parameters in the 10? Ammonia can get real high in these situations. Your fish'll love the upgrade though! All I can say is check out the link in my signature, and cycle the tank fishless this time around :) now you can properly sustain a red tailed shark!

Yeah sorry about that...couldn't really find any..I'm trying to sift through the site on my slow blackberry..not helpful. And homedog did mention a very important part..being as to how you have your fish in a 10g...the ammo is gonna jump up quicker..so keep an eye and do pwc's frequently. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do with the leaking tank?

im going to keep the 29 gallon tank for a non aquatic critter habitat, I suppose. Maybe some hermit crabs or something for my preschool kids.. Why do you ask?Do you have any cool ideas? I'm all ears!

what about salt? The aquarium salt I put in my tank cured all of my ills..and my fish are happy. But...do I KEEP salt in my tank...throughout PWC's and a tank change?

Territoons said:
what about salt? The aquarium salt I put in my tank cured all of my ills..and my fish are happy. But...do I KEEP salt in my tank...throughout PWC's and a tank change?

No, salt is only for illness. If you keep it in the whole time, the salt loses it's effect, and can kill some fish like cories. :) so nope, just have it on hand. :)

ok. good to know. and as far as resealing the old tank, yes, I know that is an option, but that tank is tremendously old (35 years or so?) and it looks like I have resealed it in the past (poorly)...and I really don't like the mirror back...I don't like looking at myself when I am gazing at my fish. It takes away from the serenity of it all! :) I figure I can use the tank for something else. It is pretty. Maybe anole lizards, or hermit crabs, or fire belly toads. I want something active, and maybe colorful, and that can enjoy the height of the tank. I would really prefer NOT to have to house crickets..but mealworms are okay. Any ideas? This is for my preschool class.

And another reason I don't want to fix the tall tank is because I WANT a bigger tank for my fish! :D

Territoons said:
ok. good to know. and as far as resealing the old tank, yes, I know that is an option, but that tank is tremendously old (35 years or so?) and it looks like I have resealed it in the past (poorly)...and I really don't like the mirror back...I don't like looking at myself when I am gazing at my fish. It takes away from the serenity of it all! :) I figure I can use the tank for something else. It is pretty. Maybe anole lizards, or hermit crabs, or fire belly toads. I want something active, and maybe colorful, and that can enjoy the height of the tank. I would really prefer NOT to have to house crickets..but mealworms are okay. Any ideas? This is for my preschool class.

And another reason I don't want to fix the tall tank is because I WANT a bigger tank for my fish! :D

You could have a guinea pig! :) pre-schoolers love something fluffy.

haha! I have some REALLY nice bunnies for my preschoolers "fluffy fix". and this tank isn't big enough for guinea pigs. I suppose I could do mice...but I think that would drive my Jack Russel Terrier NUTSO!

Territoons said:
haha! I have some REALLY nice bunnies for my preschoolers "fluffy fix". and this tank isn't big enough for guinea pigs. I suppose I could do mice...but I think that would drive my Jack Russel Terrier NUTSO!

Gerbils are cool too! But we're going off topic... So what do you want to put in the new tank fish wise?

wellllllll....new fishies.....FIRST I want my current fish to transfer over well. I've grown rather attached to them.

I for sure want some more glass catfish, since my one survivor looks very lonely, and even more so now that I don't have a mirror in his new tank!

another pictus cat, maybe? will they be okay with my red-tailed shark? all I have left are 4 mollies, 4 guppies,2 platies, the 4 iron clad I-can-survive-anything zebra danios and the lonely glass cat. And two mystery snails. and a shrimp or two.... what do you suggest?

Territoons said:
wellllllll....new fishies.....FIRST I want my current fish to transfer over well. I've grown rather attached to them.

I for sure want some more glass catfish, since my one survivor looks very lonely, and even more so now that I don't have a mirror in his new tank!

another pictus cat, maybe? will they be okay with my red-tailed shark? all I have left are 4 mollies, 4 guppies,2 platies, the 4 iron clad I-can-survive-anything zebra danios and the lonely glass cat. And two mystery snails. and a shrimp or two.... what do you suggest?

Well, I'd think 2 more pictus cats, but I'm not sure of their minimum tank size. So maybe this:
1 red tailed shark
4 mollies
4 guppies
4 platys
8 danios
3 glass cats
3 pictus cats
I'll get back to you on the pictus cat stuff in a sec lol.

is that in addition to what I have? or is that the total suggested fish?

Any other varieties? what about a betta? or anything else? I like variety.... :)

Ok, I've found everything from 75 gallons to 20 lol. I'd say 3 in a 60 would be just about right.

Back
Top Bottom