I've made ALL the mistakes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Territoons said:
oh. ok. I was leaning towards the betta...but I'll reconsider. I don't even know what size tank I'm getting until tomorrow! :)

Well, you could always try the betta, and if it doesn't work, set up a little 10 gallon for him :)

Territoons said:
i think its time for a PWC:
PH 8.2
AM .50
NO2 2.0
NO3 5.0

if my 11 year did the tests right

Yup... Your having a mini cycle. Do 2 50% PWC's. Get that nitrite down!

I'm a southern california blonde...but I don't come even close to looking like the image that that statement provides! :D you could also say "fluffy" middle aged preschool teacher

Territoons said:
I'm a southern california blonde...but I don't come even close to looking like the image that that statement provides! :D you could also say "fluffy" middle aged preschool teacher

Cool... Well I'm a 13 year old dirty blond middle schooler lol. ;) so... To stay on topic, betta or gourami?

Wow! 13? I'm impressed! You are SMART! My 11 year old is embarrassed. She says "How awkward!" :)

Ummm..I'm leaning toward Betta, but I will decide after I see how big of a tank I'm going to get.

How about sand/gravel. I think I want white (or off white) sand...what is good for growing plants? Simple plants? I'm not going to do anything special....

Territoons said:
2 50% water changes? isn't like like a full on 100% water change? I think I am confused....

Basically lol. That should get you down to around 0 ammonia, .5 nitrite, and 2.5 nitrate. Much more survivable. :)

Territoons said:
Wow! 13? I'm impressed! You are SMART! My 11 year old is embarrassed. She says "How awkward!" :)

Ummm..I'm leaning toward Betta, but I will decide after I see how big of a tank I'm going to get.

How about sand/gravel. I think I want white (or off white) sand...what is good for growing plants? Simple plants? I'm not going to do anything special....

Lol thanks! My sister is 11. She's learning fast as well lol. (and partially unwillingly) bettas are cool. A female would probably be better then a male if you do decide on a betta. Shorter fins and they're less aggressive. :) for substrate, sand is nice. Look into pool filter sand. You can get 50lbs for like, 5 bucks. :) go with about 3 inches of sand and you'll be able to grow lots of plants. Anarchis, anubias, java fern, and java moss are all really good low light plants :) you'll also need a gravel vac (if you don't already have one) for sand, as waste sits on top. Just put a pantyhose over the intake so it doesn't suck up your sand :)

Territoons said:
cool! I'll check out the pool filter sand. is it white or off white?

It's a bit more on the white side I think. Play sand is also good, and that's a bit more off white, you just have to clean it a bit more. I have paver sand... But I don't recommend it. It can be sharp, and can have chemicals if you don't get the right kind. :) I got VERY lucky in other words lol.

my luck...I WOULDN't get very lucky!

When I lived in Guam, about 40 years ago, the beach sand there was crushed coral, kind of off white and different "grain sizes" as I recall. I would like to use that for my fish tank, if I could find it, but I wonder if I could NOT use it, because it would be saltwater sand..if that makes any sense? Am I correct in assuming that?

Territoons said:
my luck...I WOULDN't get very lucky!

When I lived in Guam, about 40 years ago, the beach sand there was crushed coral, kind of off white and different "grain sizes" as I recall. I would like to use that for my fish tank, if I could find it, but I wonder if I could NOT use it, because it would be saltwater sand..if that makes any sense? Am I correct in assuming that?

You can't use crushed coral, you're right. But not for that reason ;) crushed coral buffers Ph in freshwater, making it higher. And 8.2 is very adjustable, but still high. Any higher and you'd might as well have African cichlids lol.

I had one of my clients offer to GIVE me her fish tank with all of the accessories! She thinks its 59 gallon. Im mostly excited about the accessories..they can cost so much! I hope its a BIG tank, though! I am excited!

That's amazing!!! So you get it for free?! Have you figured out what it comes with yet?! :) (sorry... Was watching a movie lol)

Back
Top Bottom