Jack Dempsey Chichlid eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I'm new here! I'm needing some advice and I found this app, hopefully someone can help!

A week or so ago I purchased a 4ft tank with a breeding pair of 7/8 inch JD Cichlids, a 7 inch upside down catfish, and 10 inch plec. The past 3 days the cichlids have been very aggressive towards the catfish, then yesterday I saw her unexpectedly lay loads of eggs. I've put a tank divider in and separated the catfish & plec from JD's as the catfish was looking at the eggs as if dinner had just been served, and the JD's were getting very protective. Today though, about 1/4 (maybe less) of the eggs are white (I read that means they're dead/not fertilised) but there's some that have turned clear? I have no idea what that means. The majority are still the tan colour they were when he laid them... What do clear eggs mean? What do I need to do? I've never had a fish lay eggs before. Will they actually survive or are they all on their way out if some have turned white already? I guess it's just a waiting game but if someone can give me advice it'd be appreciated :)
Thanks!

You can use an eye dropper or airline tube and suck the dead eggs out. The Jacks will launch a full scale attack on your hands, but it will work. What you have is likely fungus. The other choice is put Metholin Blue in the tank and cut off any carbon filtering.

As for the cat and pleco, don't let them out of jail or it is a death sentence. Even after the eggs hatch the parents will need 2 1/3 3 weeks to chill out and not be so protective of the fry.

Back
Top Bottom