Jack dempseys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swalker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a certain age or size a pair of JD's have to be to spawn make babies?

Understood, is there a good chance that if they get along that they will spawn?

Yea thanks I've had some luck with mystery snails mating in my tank hopefully I will have more luck with my JDs I'm waiting for my two mollies to pop any day.... My jacks are gonna eat good for a while lol

Yea thanks I've had some luck with mystery snails mating in my tank hopefully I will have more luck with my JDs I'm waiting for my two mollies to pop any day.... My jacks are gonna eat good for a while lol

To be honest with you feeders have very little nutritional value and you'd be better off giving them a quality pellet like NLS its perfect for them and has everything they need.Just my opinion though.

Oh .... But they're not feeders I bought out of the Pet store I've heard they're not nutritional I used to feed them to my oscars and they got hole in the head I haven't used feeders since.. I feed them beef hearts , blood worms, sinking shrimp pellets, and brine shrimp, some seaweed on occasion they'll nibble at it.

Oh .... But they're not feeders I bought out of the Pet store I've heard they're not nutritional I used to feed them to my oscars and they got hole in the head I haven't used feeders since.. I feed them beef hearts , blood worms, sinking shrimp pellets, and brine shrimp, some seaweed on occasion they'll nibble at it.
ok sorry I misread glad to hear it.

One last thing if other fish are in the tank will that discourage my JDs from spawning? The other fish are a pleco I've heard I should remove him because he'll eat the eggs, a 6in ghost knife, 3 silver dollars and two black phantom tetras in an 80gallon tank.

One last thing if other fish are in the tank will that discourage my JDs from spawning? The other fish are a pleco I've heard I should remove him because he'll eat the eggs, a 6in ghost knife, 3 silver dollars and two black phantom tetras in an 80gallon tank.
Couple of points we need to clear up.
Firstly what size tank are we talking and what Decor do you have in it?
Moving on your Silver Dollars should be fine though they do better in bigger groups than 3.I would say 5 minimum.They feel safety in numbers.In all honesty I think the JD'S will probably kill the Ghost Knife and the Tetras in time as the mature.As for the Pleco he will certainly try to eat the eggs/fry but as stated above JD'S make excellent Parents and will defend their Fry Aggressively.

It's an 80 gallon hardscape setup here is the bgk, JDs , pleco so I can see what size I'm talking about fish wise the ghost has grown about 2in and gotten wider since that pic and it was only about a month ago I've seen the bgk go after the JDs he is aggressive and they don't really mess with him.

image-4194943005.jpg

image-837614706.jpg

image-3318190833.jpg

It's an 80 gallon hardscape setup here is the bgk, JDs , pleco so I can see what size I'm talking about fish wise the ghost has grown about 2in and gotten wider since that pic and it was only about a month ago I've seen the bgk go after the JDs he is aggressive and they don't really mess with him.
For now that may be the case but the JD'S will hit 10" and trust me with fry in the tank the GK won't stand a chance.You'd be surprised how much they will change if they breed.Of course there is always a chance that it may work but I think highly unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom