Joey's Rimless 17 Gallon High Tech Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And to add to the following list as well as to say i live in state college

Oh! I have a cabin in bald eagle state forest! And penn state season tickets (;

Haha, I don't mind guys, it's gonna be a slow build so I don't have anything new anyway.

Hey Brian- I'm thinking about building an LED! I might get the Retrofit kit from RapidLed that comes with 12 Cree LEDS. How many 6500k and how many RGB LEDS would I need to get full spectrum coverage?

DIY LED is beyond me! LOL

You might want to PM Fort... he created a DIY LED fixture for his reef. He owned quite a few nice looking planted rimless tanks before switching over to the salty side.

Well, I picked up three RCS today because my LFS is really struggling, and I wanted to support them. I also primed the cabinet and will paint it in a few hours.

Hey Brian-

So the P. Helferi I got is growing and throwing out roots, but I noticed today that all the new growth is white. Is it an Iron deficiency?? Or something else? I'm dosing EI so I didn't think I would have a deficiency of any kind.

Could be acclimating to being submerged. It was growing in an emersed state. With EI dosing, you shouldn't have any deficiencies since there's an overabundance of nutrients.

Ok cool. It has only been 6 days. I'll keep checking it. Of it starts to brown or die I might up my micro dosage a half ml.

Got my stand done, just need to find a nice piece of granite. Waiting for AFA to get in some more 60-Ps, and order me filter and lights. It should be ready in 2 weeks or so.

Attachments

• image-143622060.jpg
    image-143622060.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image-2566661616.jpg
    image-2566661616.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 68
May also cough up the extra money for Aqua Soil. Yay or nay from the guys who use it? My only problem is the ammonia leeching because I do have fish I want to put in right away.

Aqua Soil is considered the best planted substrate you can get. You should PM BillBug68.. I believe he has some extra AS that he wants to sell. Save you some money.

The stand does look nice. I'm a little worried it'll sink down in the carpet once all the weight is on and you won't be able to open the cabinet door...

@brian, it's a pre fab kitchen cabinet that he painted. You can get them unfinished at Home Depot for a reasonable price. At least that's what it looks like to me... :lol:

Last edited:
Oh interesting. Are the prefab cabinets at home depot custom built to dimensions or did they so happen to have one that fits the footprint of a 60-P?

Thanks Brian, yeah Bill got it. I was worried too, so I thought about adding another 1/2 inch to the bottom, but when I sit on it, I can still easily open the cabinet door. I'm a little over 145 pounds.

It was 73$+ tax. Pretty good deal I'll say! They have all different dimensions and this one fit the 60-P perfect.

What are the dimensions of that stand Joey? I've been eyeing up some Ikea stands but this is more solid right?

Back
Top Bottom