Joey's Rimless 17 Gallon High Tech Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I guess things worked out.

Brian- Now these shrimp have me even more stumped!!! There's one like this and the other three are like this.

Attachments

• image-2874024811.jpg
    image-2874024811.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2553302159.jpg
    image-2553302159.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 78
  • image-98829610.jpg
    image-98829610.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 88
In that second picture it looks like the stripes are blue

Yeah I guess they do look like bee shrimp. The black/red isn't very dark but maybe they're still maturing.. after some more molting they should get more defined colors.

Ok cool. They will probably get picked off when I get a ram...unless I keep this as a shrimp tank of course. (; I have soft water as is so the water params are good for CRS and CBS.

I've never owned Crystal shrimp, but there's a grading system that comes with an average price range (i.e. S Grade, SSS, etc.). So it's hard to tell depending in the grade they're considered. You might get better deals in the classified section of TPT or eBay -- especially when you buy in bulk. Prices for Crystal shrimp have gone down, well at least for the lower to regular grade varieties.

Edit: 3 or 4 bucks isn't too bad though.. considering you're supporting the LFS.

Last edited:
Yeah, I always try and support the LFS

Got some goodies today!

Attachments

• image-331298864.jpg
    image-331298864.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 78
  • image-456128939.jpg
    image-456128939.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2060609707.jpg
    image-2060609707.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 68
I took a gamble on some 13mm Lily pipes from Amazon, and after 24 days of waiting for them, I'm pretty satisfied with the quality for 30$.

I think so... my Tangerine Tigers molted shortly after I introduced them to my tank. Next thing I know, my TT's are berried.

I forget, are you using RO/DI water or tap? You get your TDS & KH/GH readings yet?

That's awesome then. I'm using tap. My TDS is 215. My Kh is 2 and my Gh is 3. Are these readings alright for CRS for a shrimp only tank ill be setting up soon?

After I get my 60-P up ill be doing a 5 gallon, or a 2.5 gallon strictly for CRS. I'm gonna try a flame moss carpet. Haha. My room is turning into my fish room. (;

That's pretty good TDS for tap. TDS around 200 or less is ideal. You can also add Indian almond leaves and/or cholla wood to help promote breeding.

Ok cool. Yeah, I guess I just got lucky with good tap water. The more I watch shrimp the more I want a tiny shrimp tank.

Yeah me too. Shrimp are interesting, especially watching your colony grow. Even with a relatively low TDS from your tap, it still might be a good idea to go 50/50 with RO/DI to minimize any risk of other potential nasty stuff hidden in tap. I know some of the shrimp breeders who have high grade shrimp use 100% RO in which they remineralize. Purigen is also good to add to your filter (only if the tank had cycled already).

Yeah I enjoy it. Ok, I'll think about cutting tap with RO. I've been playing with the idea of getting an RO unit for a reef which I feel is a necessity. One more question- How does the Gh/Kh affect the shrimp?? I know my levels are acceptable, I'm just curous.

Back
Top Bottom