JOM20's 38g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks!

More pics. I actually like to take pics of my tank when it looks better. :rolleyes:

2 Full tank shots, 1 of the Tribal Blenny and the pink plate.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 38g.jpg
    38g.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 38g 7-23.jpg
    38g 7-23.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 85
  • pink plate.jpg
    pink plate.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 73
  • blenny.jpg
    blenny.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 158
wats in there now? I havent been on the forums in a while.

Well up until tonight (more on that below) there was:

2 True Percula Clowns
Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
Male McCosker's Wrasse
Tribal Blenny

But, I came home from work today to find my Watchman breathing slow and acting a bit lethargic. He's usually alert and perched on a rock somewhere or in the sand. It wasn't like him to just sit there. He was a little pale...but I couldn't see any obvious symptoms. Then he swam out in front and I could see his other side. He had a small fleshy sore on the side of his tail. After stepping away from the tank a sec...I saw the Tribal Blenny bite at his dorsal and tail fin. I ended up putting the goby in a hang on tank holder with an airstone (for water movement) while I made up some sw (just did a water change yesterday so I didn't have sw mixed)....and no qt. Anyways, to make a long story short, he only lasted a couple more hours until he passed. :( I'm very sad...I loved that fish.

And to top it all off....I hadn't seen my Wrasse in a couple days....he hides alot because the Clowns harass him. I assumed him dead....couldn't see a body though. Then out of no where he appeared today and looked beat up really bad. I think he may have somehow gotten in the input of the skimmer (it isn't on) and got stuck or something. I really have no idea. He's currently in the hang on tank holder with the airstone and is awaiting the saltwater to get the correct SG.

Tested the water for curiousity:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: 0
Calcium: 460
Mag: 1320
pH: 8.2
SG: 1.024 (usually 1.025, but I did a water change yesterday...thought I matched it correctly)
Temp: 76.9F

Did a water change yesterday and while the Wrasse was hiding....the Goby looked/acted fine.

Very sad day in the reef. My tank is a death trap. This time I believe it was the Blenny/Clowns contributing to the deaths. Didn't help that the Wrasse got stuck somewhere (if he really was...I really didn't see where he came from). If I add anything else, it will have to be able to stand up to my bullies. :puppydogeyes: It will be a bit before I add anything else....except maybe some coral frags.

Last edited:
a UV sterilizer may slow down future algae growth, if you want to go hi-tech...

it wont reduce anchored hair algae, but its good for getting rid of free floating organisms

Don't beat yourself up to much, it happens to all of us one time or another. Sorry for your loss.
Overall your tank looks great.

4442116908_275aff85a1.jpg

This pic should go in one of the competitions if you haven't already. Such an awesome picture.

Do you have any updated pics of your Bam Bams? A really nice morph of Bam Bam's is my white whale. None have ever matched up to this first colony i saw.

Thanks Jimbo! I love that pic and I miss my lawnmower. :( I have had too many unfortunate deaths.

Anywho, I don't have an updated pic of the Bam Bams, but I can get one tomorrow and post it. Mine look really orange..could be my lighting though. Those are one of my fav Zoas.

He is/was a cute little guy.

I would love to see them. Maybe we could work out a trade somewhere down the road if you still want SPS.

We certainly could trade. :)

Attached are some pics from today. Full tank shot, Bam Bams (so hard to get a good pic of those!), Blow Pop Zoas (with a little bryopsis for kicks), and the small Duncan.

Attachments

• bam bams.jpg
    bam bams.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 75
  • blowpops.jpg
    blowpops.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 92
  • duncan2.jpg
    duncan2.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 66
  • 38g again.jpg
    38g again.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
More pics, decided to find another image hosting site so I can post more than 4 pics per post. :rolleyes:

Hammer Coral
hammerh.jpg

Lunar Eclipse Palys
lunareclipsepalys.jpg

Wellsophylia Brain Coral....hungry :)
wellsobrain.jpg

Green Bay Packer Zoas
gbpr.jpg

Pink and Gold (Palys?)
pinkandgoldzoas.jpg

Rainbow Zoas
rainbowzoas.jpg