JOM20's 38g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got a few new things this week from a friend.

Pics:
kingmidaszoas.jpg

King Midas and Eagle Eye Zoas

blasto.jpg

Blasto

chalice2.jpg

Chalice 1

chalice1.jpg

Chalice 2

kenyatree.jpg

Kenya Tree

duncans.jpg

One of my Duncans (not new)...probably my fav coral

leftb.jpg

Left side of the tank

FTS:
38g3.jpg

I added a few more pieces of rock to the right side. I plan on ordering some base rock eventually and building up the right side more.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Yes, he is an awesome friend!

I have that red Chalice on top of the rockwork...still like midway up the tank...but I think I'll move it down if I can make a spot.

Should I epoxy them to rocks or just set them on the rocks? And is ~4" enough space between these guys and other corals? I have done some research on them but couldn't find the answer to that.

I super glue gel mine to rock. For some reason when I just set them in their the fish knock them back out.

Wow...has it really been since August? Well its way overdue for an update!

I finally got the tanks (including the reef) to my house....I was really busy in August/September trying to buy a house and getting packed up and moved in October. My tanks were still at my parents house until this week....Thurs and Friday.

The reef is all setup and cleaned up...I had really let it go and was only doing water changes every 2 weeks, no cleaning really. I put in some new sand and some new rock that I had been cooking and had taken out before. Now to let my corals grow and be healthier than they were...the tank might actually look decent again! Still have the 2 Percula Clowns...I will eventually get some new fish when funds allow.

I'll be getting some new pics this week, but it will take me a few days to get them on the computer. I don't have internet or a computer that works at my house, so I have to use my parents.

Picture updates will come soon!

I have updated pics! But, I forgot Flickr doesn't have the IMG option anymore so I have to post links because the pics aren't great, but they look better in Flickr. :) Sorry to make you work.

DSC_0131 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC_0138- | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
corals | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
zoas | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
plate | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'm hoping to eventually get more corals and fish when funds allow. I'll wait until it warms up a bit though (even though its like 70s here today....).

There is a reflection on the full tank shot on the back glass....its not that dirty, I promise!

Wow Kristin, your tank is looking so nice! I really like those blastos too! They are definitely one of my favorite coral.

It's great to see everything is going well. Keep it up!

Thanks! Luckily everything did fine during the move and now that they are here I'm taking better care of the tank. Makes a difference! That's why I hadn't posted pics in a while. I'm going to try to update more often!

Wow, i never knew you moved. How do you like the new place? If you don't mind me asking. ;)

I love it! I bought a house and before I was still living with my parents. I love living by myself and the house being mine. :) Now I'm working on getting a dog so I won't be so lonely...lol.

Do you still have your tank?

Wow... your own house!? Lucky. So lucky. I want a house all to myself.

And nah i shut down the 25G... i didn't think it was going all that well. Starting a new one, but i think we talked about that. ;D

Wow this thread is more than 99 days old!!

I have been slacking for sure! I have been meaning to take pics for awhile now, but you know how that goes. :rolleyes:

So I did a pwc today and scraped the glass....forgot some algae on the glass in the back...uh oh...I'll get that before I take pics next time. And I'll try to get some macros eventually of the corals.

Ok for the pics....the best part! Click for bigger pics.

I still just have the 2 Percula Clowns. There is a new salty lfs in the area so one day I will make it there to see what they have and possibly try more fish. I got really discouraged with all the other fish that died and haven't been in rush to add new fish. Hopefully my future fish will live for me. I'm going to get an Orchid Dottyback, hopefully and another Watchman Goby.....and possibly some type of Wrasse if I get brave enough to trust my Clowns not to harrass it. :)

I promise that updates will be sooner next time!

Last edited:
Monthly pic update. :rolleyes:

My halimeda collection there on the left. :)

Duncans...one of my fav corals...along with Zoas.

Still collecting hair algae here and there, but as long as it isn't out of control, I don't attack it. I just keep an eye on it. Clowns are still doing well and I plan on adding atleast another fish or 2...just need to have some funds available and check out a new SW LFS in the area. Hopefully in a couple weeks that will be possible. (y)

Back
Top Bottom