Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good!! Three inquiries though. One, why is your water level so low?? Two, you gotta figure a way to move that protein skimmer to the side or the back. And three move your magna float around the front. Sorry for being so harsh sounding. It is getting there though.

Looking good!! Three inquiries though. One, why is your water level so low?? Two, you gotta figure a way to move that protein skimmer to the side or the back. And three move your magna float around the front. Sorry for being so harsh sounding. It is getting there though.

1) I've been waiting on water.

2) I can't move my protein skimmer until I build a new stand, as stated previously

3) Idk how position of a magnafloat affects anything. Lol. Pretty sure it doesn't.

I think he just meant when you're done building your stand and move your skimmer, you'd be able to use the magnafloat around the whole front glass. Looks really good though.

I think he just meant when you're done building your stand and move your skimmer, you'd be able to use the magnafloat around the whole front glass. Looks really good though.

Ah. Gotcha. Yeah. The protein skimmer is just something my tank needed but whoever built my stand sucks at carpentry. There has been no way to move the stand out from the wall. It was a newbie mistake. Lol. Biggest tank I've had and I messed up.

And thank you. :) I'm proud of it but I wish I was less broke and had more free time. Lol

I didn't mean to sound short or rude, I really do appreciate criticism. It usually causes progress. :)

I'm crossing my fingers that I will have a new stand in the next month or so. :) and then I will get to move it and clean all my glass. Lol.

I was just following up on the joke about the magna float. Just teasing you. I think it is coming along good. It's just a shame about your skimmer Hopefully you get that situated soon. And are you making your own rodi water?

I was just following up on the joke about the magna float. Just teasing you. I think it is coming along good. It's just a shame about your skimmer Hopefully you get that situated soon. And are you making your own rodi water?

I figured. lol. I didn't mean to sound the way I did. My brother lives right down the road. He has an RODI system. He does water for his water changes and then mine. Lol. So I should have I any day. I thought I would today.

You should keep an extra 5 gallon jug of water so you have top off all week.

5 gallons wouldn't cut it. I've put at least 15 gallons of top off in this week. What I really need is a lid but my tank doesn't have a center brace so that one hasn't been figured out yet.

Sheesh!! 15 gallons of top of in one week? That's crazy. Something sounds wrong there. Is there a rain cloud forming in your room. Lol. I buy 10 gallons of salt water and 5 gallons of top off every week and the top off usually last me a week no problem and I usually have top of left over by the end of the week.

Sheesh!! 15 gallons of top of in one week? That's crazy. Something sounds wrong there. Is there a rain cloud forming in your room. Lol. I buy 10 gallons of salt water and 5 gallons of top off every week and the top off usually last me a week no problem and I usually have top of left over by the end of the week.

Lol. Nope. I live in the driest part of Texas. I really just need to cover it. I'm just a full time college student with no job, so it's difficult to buy things all the time. Lol. I keep up with water changes. That's what matters, I guess.

Just keep an eye on your salinity. It's definitely looking better! Just take it slow. A lid of some type will definitely help with your evaporation issue. With no center brace it will be a challenge though.

Maybe next time you do a water change scrape that red algae of the back glass and siphon it out. It's looking good though.

Looks better with more rock now. Coral and fish look healthy and happy. It's coming along nicely. I agree about the algae on the back glass. Astraea, cerith, nerite or Mexican turbo snails will help keep that glass clean for you. And their not that expensive.

Maybe next time you do a water change scrape that red algae of the back glass and siphon it out. It's looking good though.

Looks better with more rock now. Coral and fish look healthy and happy. It's coming along nicely. I agree about the algae on the back glass. Astraea, cerith, nerite or Mexican turbo snails will help keep that glass clean for you. And their not that expensive.

Thanks guys! I'm really proud of it even though i have a ways to go. :) The red algae is starting to bite the dust. It was WAY worse a few days ago. Lol. But I moved an 800 gph power head to the back and it's helped tremendously. I have about 40 hermit crabs, will the snails instantly become a snack?

My blue leg hermits don't mess with my snails at all. They just beat each other up. Lol

My blue leg hermits don't mess with my snails at all. They just beat each other up. Lol

Lol. I have so many different kinds I couldn't even tell you what they are! All different colors of legs. Lol. All my snails have disappeared. Maybe I'll get a few and they'll learn to stay on the glass. Not likely. But maybe. Lol

FWIW I don't believe in heavy water changes on a reef tank as is the case with a heavily stocked FOWLR. I have had better luck with only changing 5-10 percent every 4-6 weeks. I have softies and LPS. It seems like the more I forget to do water changes, the better everything does. Counterintuitive. I know.

And a 15 gallon evaporation rate weekly on a 55 sounds like an auto top off system might be crucial to success in your reef. Your salinity is going to fluctuate like crazy and make it hard to establish stability for growth.

FWIW I don't believe in heavy water changes on a reef tank as is the case with a heavily stocked FOWLR. I have had better luck with only changing 5-10 percent every 4-6 weeks. I have softies and LPS. It seems like the more I forget to do water changes, the better everything does. Counterintuitive. I know.

And a 15 gallon evaporation rate weekly on a 55 sounds like an auto top off system might be crucial to success in your reef. Your salinity is going to fluctuate like crazy and make it hard to establish stability for growth.

Thanks for the info. There is a ridiculous amount of evaporation. I don't think it's quite 15. But it's at least 10-12 my brother lives right up the road and was able to fix the problem with just a lid on his. I'm hoping that will work.

Back
Top Bottom