Just a lazy oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon D.

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my oscar just lays on his side all the time except when I feed should I be worried?

Attachments

• image-3470721408.jpg
    image-3470721408.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 106
They are known to sulk but you need to rule out any other problems. What's the tank size? Tank mates? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? Temperature of tank? What do you feed? How long have you had the fish?

Don't worry my Oscar sulked like that too when I got him but he didn't eat for 4 or 5 days so I got worried. They come around after about a week or two

Had him 9 months or so and temp is 77 ph is high 7's I dnt test it Bc it's bout perfect out of faucet nitrate never test....he is in with a feather fin and a polypterus

They're either over fed and laying down on their belly to slowly digest like G Pa during the holidays, or the water quality is subpar. Sorry to be so vague, but the Peeps need more info to go on. Tell us about your setup, maintenance, stock, and feeding.

I'm guessing the tank is too small and your not doing enough water changes. A 9 month old oscar should be in at least a 55 gallon by himself, 75 would be better by himself and 100 or so with tankmates. Probably living in own waste without a couple 50% water changes a week in a 55 or 75 by himself. These are large messy fish with a huge bio load. Even when small they have a huge bio load, people often don't realize this and keep them in small tanks with the intention of getting a larger tank down the road. They grow so fast and and have such a large bio load that the large tank is needed from the time the fish is small. I kept my wild caught in a 30 gallon for a month or so when he was 1.5 inches to treat for different things that wilds can possibly have before being put in the 125 with the other oscar, with a partition for now due to size, and by the time he was 3 inches I had to do 50% or more water change a day to keep the water good.

Water change is done twice a week on that tank and is never really dirty water.... He gets shrimp pellets daily and blood worms every other day

What is the tank size? You need a liquid test kit to tell if your water is good. Toxic water will still look clean and clear most times.

What is the tank size? You need a liquid test kit to tell if your water is good. Toxic water will still look clean and clear most times.

I agree and judging by that picture you can clearly see from the lack of color and his behavior I'd lean towards a water quality issue over anything else.

Back
Top Bottom