Just aquired a 75 gal!! Now I have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm...I have a heavily...used...rock from my established tank in the new 75 atm. So what is being said is, if I have sufficient media from old established tank, placed into new un cycled tank there is no need to wait for the cycle? But isn't that hard on the fish even still, negating the point of a fishless cycle? After researching several canister filters, I've yet to find any info that states canisters filter better than HOB filters. Oh and luckily I got cash back from the LFS for my equipment, the did it no problem! I'll go there for fish, since their stock is healthy and diverse, their employees knowledgable, just not for equipment! So is there really any reason not to get the AC 110 (provided I have the model number correct for a 75 gal), rather than an Eheim or Odyssea canister? Thanks for all the help with my incredible amount of questions!

Hmm...I have a heavily...used...rock from my established tank in the new 75 atm. So what is being said is, if I have sufficient media from old established tank, placed into new un cycled tank there is no need to wait for the cycle? But isn't that hard on the fish even still, negating the point of a fishless cycle?

No, you may get a mini cycle (within days) but I never experienced that at all. I moved the filter (Tetra Whisper 30) to the 75 w/ 2 handfuls of gravel. The fish were 1 9" Pleco, 2 Congo Tetras, 2 Half striped Barbs, 2 Black skirt tetras and some neon tetras.. The pleco alone being quite a load and never had a problem.. If you already have ammonia, then try it.. see how long a fishless cycle takes. I can almost bet it's over within 3 days..

As for the Filter. I found cannisters more adaptable.. but if the tank isn't planted then I doubt either would be technically "better".

With old material at hand, you wont need to cycle from scratch. Make sure that your old bacteria still have a food source and you are good to go. I usually just ran my new filter on the old tank for a couple weeks. for my first tank, the 55 I took the two filter pads from my boss's penguin for mine.

Ok, I still need to get the heater and filter, so once that's up and going for a couple days I'll test ammonia. I just didn't want it to be hard on the fishes.

hello, I'm new to this forum, but I have been keeping cichlids from central and south america for a while, so I can help with a few suggestions if you want some super intelligent fish. :D All of the ones I suggest have amazing coloration and are aggressive. They can usually be trained to accept food from your hand (careful your fingers!) and some even allow petting. Heavy filtration for all, and rocks, caves, and territories are a must. Here are some long-term ideas:

With a 75 gallon, you do have a few options.

Option 1: If you're looking to keep maybe one or two large cichlids (heavy filtration and heavy PWC's are a must) then you can long term house a jaguar cichlid and a salvini cichlid. The jaguar is considered one of the most aggressive and most intelligent cichlids available (some say it's even smarter than the oscar). Male Jaguars grow to about 14 inches and females around 10. The salvini cichlid only grows to around 7 inches, but no worries. That salvini can certainly handle a jaguar twice it's size because it is also of the same aggression level as the jaguar. The salvini is a bit shyer, but keep the lighting dim, and it shouldn't be too bad. Most likely, only fake plants can be kept, and they will be uprooted.

Option 2: You could also do two oscars. Each grow to about 13 inches. Gender and coloration do not matter so much. No plants. Very very heavy filtration to prevent hole in the head disease.

Option 3: One jack dempsey cichlid and a green terror cichlid. You could try a school of 8 tiger barbs as dithers, but don't be surprised if they eventually get eaten. It would be better if you added everyone while they are babies and allow them to all grow up together.

Option 4: A convict cichlid (females have better coloration, but males have that gorgeous nuchal hump), and a texas cichlid.

Option 5: One midas cichlid. Should be kept alone. If you like hybrids, then you can substitute for the Flowerhorn cichlid. Nothing else goes in with a single specimen, except for rock decorations and fake plants if you want some green.

Option 6: (a little bit of a different suggestion) You can go with a community with a lot of caution and monitoring. Cichlids vary personality from individual to individual (one green terror might be a monster when the next might be a wuss). TENTATIVELY and TECHNICALLY, you could keep ONE of the 10-12 inch cichlids mentioned above (texas, green terror, jack dempsey, oscar) with a school of 8 tiger barbs, and ONE convict cichlid. This is a very heavy load, so don't even try it unless you are willing to perform weekly 40% water changes and have your filtration with a more than adequate canister filter, and a more than adequate HOB filter for surface agitation. Ensure plenty of fake bushy plants for the barbs and rock caves/territories for the two cichlids. The tiger barbs should be added first and grow out to almost adult size then there are still no guarantees they will survive long term, but for the first couple of years they will be a joy to have. This suggestion is not suggested for the beginner because of the load, but if you are willing to handle the maintenance, then it can work.

Sorry for the long post, but examples/scenarios have always been extremely helpful to me in the past when it came time to plan. Cichlids are an absolute joy to keep. They will recognize and greet you when you approach the tank, they can be trained very easily, most are hardy and accept a wide variety of foods, and all are extremely intelligent. They like to pick up a piece of gravel in their mouth and place it elsewhere to their liking, or if you have a sand substrate, they will sift it through their gills (they do like to dig, so a sturdy rock structure may need to be siliconed together). Also, cichlids are one of those subjects that everyone tends to have different ideas on, so another person may come up right behind me and say that this is all trash. I don't ever suggest plecos because of the amount of waste they cause, and I am a diehard fan of ammonia fishless cycling because it's much cleaner than having something 'rotting' in your tank. And yes, your BGK will grow too large too quickly to keep in a 75 gallon. I'm just giving examples from knowledge I have gained in experience, research, and others' wise advice.

I hope this helps you. If not, then I hope it helps anyone looking towards cichlids. :)

Thanks for the advice, I'd love to have cichlids but they would kill my other community fish.

Ok, so for filtration I'm thinking an AC 110 and an undergravel filter. Any suggestions for undergravel filters?

cajungirl3993 said:
Cichlids are an absolute joy to keep. They will recognize and greet you when you approach the tank, they can be trained very easily, most are hardy and accept a wide variety of foods, and all are extremely intelligent.

I love ca/sa and new world cichlids :D .

I would love to have a 75 gal to have more room for my cichlids :cry: ...lucky!

Back
Top Bottom