Just set up this tank any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ATM Colony. Without a cycled tank your fish could die very easily.

Do you have a master test kit?

when was the tank setup?

I don't know about your but since when is 20$ alot of money? you got yourself into the aquarium hobby any by the looks of it spend a fair bit on your setup. If you don't want to shell out 20$ for the safety of your fish be my guess.

Just understand when you go through a normal cycle your only putting your fish through more stress then needed.

Before this turns into fanboy vs neigh sayer showdown;) how did you acquire the tank? Surely that oscar has been around a while??

I don't know about your but since when is 20$ alot of money? you got yourself into the aquarium hobby any by the looks of it spend a fair bit on your setup. If you don't want to shell out 20$ for the safety of your fish be my guess. Just understand when you go through a normal cycle your only putting your fish through more stress then needed.
I will bring up the fact that you used this product in a heavily planted, lightly stocked 75 gal aquarium everyyyy singleeee timeeeee you advise op's to use this product before recommending the 2 standard cycling procedures acknowledged by this forumn, which both have many many success stories without the use of bottled stuff aside from pure ammonia..

Just as you guys recommend your method I will recommend my method. Nothing wrong with that is there? Even more so because no one else here seems to have experience with it, all the more reason why I should speak for it. 10 day cycle, no dead fish, seems good to me.

Just as you guys recommend your method I will recommend my method. Nothing wrong with that is there? Even more so because no one else here seems to have experience with it, all the more reason why I should speak for it. 10 day cycle, no dead fish, seems good to me.
yes... With a heavily planted lightly stocked 75 gallon tank!!! I cycled a tank in 2 days with freeeee seeded media, but I digress.. Let's let op get back to us before we go any further.. Deal?

I bought him from Petsmart about five years ago but I've never cycled the tank.. This is the third tank I bought for him and I love him so much! Money isn't an isn't an issue I just don't know what to buy and how to do it..

Awesome!! You've cycled 3 tanks actually!! How long has he been in this one? You're a great person for upgrading your tanks per requirements of you fast growing oscar by the way :D

Just bought this one Saturday ? I fell in love with my Oscar.. My parents always had nice tanks when I was a kid but never one like my Oscar he is so interactive and Let's me pet him.. I didn't expect him to grow so much though! But he's worth the tanks and he seems so happy since I moved him from my 38 gallon.. So is there anything I should do to his water now? It looks clear..

I don't know about your but since when is 20$ alot of money? you got yourself into the aquarium hobby any by the looks of it spend a fair bit on your setup. If you don't want to shell out 20$ for the safety of your fish be my guess.

Just understand when you go through a normal cycle your only putting your fish through more stress then needed.

Precisely !!! You don't know me. But, fwiw, here's a quick history lesson. My first tank, FREE. My first BB colony, FREE. From the same person my FREE 265g came from. Total cost = sit down, shut up, and listen. Ask questions get answers. AND, many LFS's will give you a filter squeeze for a lot less than $20. Sometimes, wait for it...., FREE !!!

Point being, the only thing these companies do is lure you into giving them your hard earned money. It's a well played ploy time and time again. And another fwiw, occasionally $20 could be the difference between eating and going to bed hungry. When you can talk the talk with sad puppy dog eyes, the world is your oyster. Some people call it finesse.

Did you use anything from the old tank? Deco's, gravel? Filter would be the big one???

Why do you recommend an expensive bacteria product instead of just suggesting to get established media for free from a friend's tank? You kinda seem like a salesman.

Also, you make it seem like a fail-safe. It's not. You can't really consider it a "method" when you've only successfully done it once, on your first tank, under certain conditions (as already mentioned). Besides, it appears this tank is already cycled. It's a good thing they didn't rush out and spend $20 for no reason. ;)

kerah, I suggest reading some of the excellent articles on this site to learn about beneficial bacteria and their role in the nitrogen cycle. Here's a good place to start:
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I am using all the old gravel and a 4 old decos.... But I got a new filter that's heavy duty! I also have a placco with a leopard type pattern in there and a South American Ciclid.. I am expecting a child soon so I'd like to save money if I could.. I can spend like $40 right now because I spent $245 on his new tank and deco.

I am using all the old gravel and a 4 old decos.... But I got a new filter that's heavy duty! I also have a placco with a leopard type pattern in there and a South American Ciclid.. I am expecting a child soon so I'd like to save money if I could.. I can spend like $40 right now because I spent $245 on his new tank and deco.
did you happen to stuff any of the old filter media(pads) into new filter? Do you have any other tanks running? Do you have a test kit/are you testing water??

Back
Top Bottom