Kenyi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got two ;) A male and a female. The female is a good girl. My male has his moments, but not enough for me to move him yet. He is about a year or two old. He will occasionally challenge my yellow lab or acei but not much more than flaring the fins and stretching the mouth.

i had one. gave it a time out in the same tank as another grouch and was attacked (i didnt this the other one was THAT evil!) and it died later on.
it basically chased everything except one female it fancied and was a scale tearer. couldnt get rid of it cos it was actually my brother's b-day prezzie :(
and out of 10, a defo 7.

Ok bigbanker yours is ok and mbf's is a bit of a mare so it looks like it depends on the individual.
I really like the fact that the female is a lovely colour of blue and the male is a nice yellow.I was thinking about getting 1 male and 4 females.

thats a good ratio. and yes its all about the individual :)
but mine was male anyway, and i didnt have many males in the tank so it was all about claiming the dominance xx

I also prefer putting several fish in an already established tank too.Preferably juvies as i've found the dominant males find this less threatening.
Kenyi's just look so cool to me :)

yeah juvies in the established tank +1
yes kenyis look cool but they are like zebras. luck and chance if u get a meanie!! ha
do u have some then? x

Well there is a bit of a battle going on at the moment between my eye biter and my tropheus sp red but I see the eye biter slowly gaining advantage.They just threaten really no bloodshed.
I have cbz's rz's albino z's , Eye biter , EB hap , giraffe cichlid , yellow labs and blue dolphins (breathe garfy breathe lol)

lol garfy breathe!
that stocking is fine, go ahead. its cos if u had weak temperament fish they would not have done well. and what do the almino zebras look like?x

I only have one albino zebra and I'm pretty sure it's a male.I think when he gets as big as the cbz's he'll be pretty mean.Right now the az is about 3" and the cbz's are 4-5" .He's a nice looking fish and was my daughter's choice when we chose my very first 4 cichlids :)

im never letting my bro pic another fish for my tanks. he'l pick another terrorist probably!
and they sound like they are a decent size too, ideal to handle a kenyi group lol

Ha ha Elizabeth tries to get me to put neon tetras and fish like that with my cichlids and I say to her yeah that would be a nice snack lol.
What other mbuna have good colours on both male and female?

CBZ females are interesting, but i adore my OB zebra female. i will not get rid of her, even tho she is a batant cow-fish.
fuelleborni (similar africans) have great colour but are no competition with your current stocking and will get beaten if they fight.
umm auratus do, but dont go well with zebras. bumblebees are stunning! and me gusta demasoni (not mbuna bt perty) x

Ooh forgot to mention I have 3 auratus also 1 male and 2 females.I think I get away with it because of my tank size.
I thought bumblebee cichlids were pretty aggressive?

yeah but u have pretty agressive fish anyway! ha
and wow with the auratus, mine is still grounded. actually, i rescued her as she was being chased cos she was in an 'abandoned agressives' tank where the mean ones were put to sort themselves out. i think i see where i went wrong :L:L

Back
Top Bottom