Koi pond needing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meiko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
There's a pond where my mom works that she's now in charge of..and it needs some SERIOUS help. I don't know the exact specs on it, but from what I've heard it's totally self maintained (as in...they're too lazy to watch over it until i convinced my mom to do something about it)

It has a double waterfall on one end and below that just a shallow outstretch of barren green alge filled pond, about 1 foot deep at the deepest part in the center and it's host to a pool of koi.

I'll get some pics as soon as i can and some more specific details. As of now they do nothing to the pond it freezes over in the winter and when it thaws out in the spring a bunch of baby koi appear...and then during summer they seem to disappear... or something, then it freezes again in the winter... just a endless cycle. And because they're in a drought up there the water levels are dropping and they rarely refill it...

Please just tell me anything you know about ponds and any ideas to help fix this one.

First off, what is your location. Climate is a big part of advice. Secondly, I think your 1 foot depth is off. That is way too shallow for healthy koi, and it would freeze solid and kill all of the fish off in the winter.

Bring us some more info and we can help more.

Well im finally back from training and ready to help! Been a while since a posted... anyways...

He's right... a foot deep is wayyy too shallow even for goldfish...
AlgaeFix Kills algae really well... but you need to have a pump circulating the water constantly, for it removes good oxygen levels....

MICROBELIFT is a wonderful thing to start a pond back up.... you might need to do a 1/3 water change and condition the water...

but get us some more information... and this pond will be beautiful in 2 weeks...

Back
Top Bottom